Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Photos with HDR effects

Photos with HDR effects

L.Y.S AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY 

Joined in October 2013
Posted 6 February 2014 - 00:30 CET

Hello,

Are photos with added HDR effects acceptable? If yes, in which category they belong (Composite or Main database)?

I want to upload both of these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/libyanspotter/12328964413/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/libyanspotter/12328967333/

All opinions are welcome !!

This post has been edited by L.Y.S AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY on 6th February 2014 - 13:35

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 6 February 2014 - 08:17 CET

HDR has always been a hot subject amongst the screeners, one or two FMs use the technique, most don't and understand it even less.

Strictly speaking HDR is a composite image because it is made up of many images so it belongs in the Composite Photos section, however there are many HDR images in the main database, including a few grunge images as well.

There is some inconsistencies, so you will have to take the luck of the draw whether it is accepted or not.

Personally, the whole point of HDR is to replicate what the eye sees and if an image is good enough then you will not know it is not a normal photo. Grunge is not what HDR is about, and heavily tone mapped images are unnatural creations.

The photo on Flickr has better contrast, it is obvious that it was taken at night so heavy contrast is acceptable in my book.

Lvcivs 

Joined in April 2012
Posted 9 February 2014 - 15:53 CET

I'm one of the FM that likes HDR, with natural-looking tones, but with some saturation/vibrance and details increase. I second Wallace words, grunge is not what HDR is about.

You can actually use just one RAW to make a HDR, like these:

All the above made just with Lightroom.

There is no recipe, you have to try on your own. What I like the most of it is the natural look and how the reflections come up on the final result.

This post has been edited by Wallace Shackleton on 9th February 2014 - 19:00

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 9 February 2014 - 19:02 CET

I took the liberty of adding the links to your pictures in your last post.

I suppose technically a single image HDR, would be OK for the main database, although that would be for the Screeners to decide..

Like I said the whole point is for the final image to nook natural and you have succeeded with those pictures.

Joined in October 2013
Posted 9 February 2014 - 19:20 CET

Thanks Wallace and Lvcivs for the info i will try my best with regards to this.

I got the image of the B763 rejected due to over-sharpening and unnatural artifacts in the sky, so i edited another image with a 6/sec shutter speed and uploaded it again with some selective sharpening and a few tweaks in saturation and vibrance.

i got the final image attached in this post , and i appreciate your opinions.

Attached photos:

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 9 February 2014 - 19:59 CET

I can only give you my personal opinion in that it seems to be OK. Strictly speaking it is not that well lit but it is a night shot and I would make allowances for that.

The only negative criticism that I can give that there are three hot pixels on the ground and two in the sky that, if it were a.net would be causes for rejection, but this isn't a.net so who knows.

I would probably accept it with a recommendation that you correct them as it is a very minor imperfection.

This post has been edited by Wallace Shackleton on 9th February 2014 - 19:59

Joined in October 2013
Posted 9 February 2014 - 22:06 CET

Thanks Wallace for your opinion , i appreciate it.

regarding the hot pixels , i will correct them.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1393 (18 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.