Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Settings for Auto Focus / Auto Iso

Settings for Auto Focus / Auto Iso

Christian Borchmann 

Joined in April 2011
Posted 18 February 2014 - 19:23 CET

Hallo,

just a question, which auto focus fields are u using? I tried the automatic programm but it seems to be better switching to the centered points...

The new cam has more focus sensors then my old one.

What focus settings are u using for the focus points?

What about Auto Iso? Using it or better tune manualy?

Thanks

Christian

Attached photos:

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:11 CET

For your 400D, I would recommend using One shot for static or slow moving and AI Servo for moving.

I can not quite see in the DP review write up anything to do with the AF selection. There is a link off the Canon web page but that goes to the 1DX!

In that case I would recommend using a center AF or a small group of nine around the center spot, most photographers use Bulls-eye composition, so it makes some sense having the AF spots in the middle as well.

The two AF spots on the grass beyond the aircraft may throw your focus off or ask for a smaller aperture and hence a slower shutter speed, which you may not want.

DP Review states that the 400D has good noise all the way up to 1600 ISO albeit with a little more Chroma noise. Given the weather I would not run it past 400 or 800 tops and keep it low in good or sunny weather, where the high ISO would give you insanely fast shutter speeds.

Christian Borchmann 

Joined in April 2011
Posted 18 February 2014 - 21:24 CET

Thank you Wallace,

i forgott to update my profile... I am using an 70D now and still discovering new functions :-)

I changed from Using AF (Face+Tracking) to Focus to AF Using AF (FlexiZone - Multi) to Focus mode. Last sounds better for planespotting ;-)

Christian

This post has been edited by Christian Borchmann on 18th February 2014 - 21:40

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:18 CET

Ah, the 70D uses Phase detection, that's something new on me, although personally I would keep things simple and use a small center group of nine AF spots, if it has such a thing.

To digress very slightly, the DP Review for the 70D has this interesting statement

"Lens compatibility

Canon has made no fewer than 156 EF lens models in the 26 years since the EOS system first appeared, and it says that 103 of them fully support Dual Pixel CMOS AF, including all current lenses. This means that these lenses only ever use phase detection for live view and movie focusing - there's no need for a slower contrast detection step. The other 53 lenses count as partially supported, which means that for One-Shot AF (either stills or movie) they use a hybrid system with phase detection to determine the initial focus movement, and contrast detection to fine-tune correct focus. So these lenses won't focus as fast and decisively in Live View."

I would again stick with no more than 800 ISO until you personally know better, again you need never need Auto ISO in good light conditions anyway.

Christian Borchmann 

Joined in April 2011
Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:59 CET

Good Morning Wallace,

thank you. I will give it a try next weekend :-)

Christian

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1576 (20 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.