Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Rejected picture

Rejected picture

PatrickLicht 
Joined in April 2014
Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:42 CET

Hi there.

This picture I was recently rejected. What is your opinion?

Attached photos:

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:51 CET

It would be easier if you explained why it has been rejected.

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:52 CET

Over sharpened. Halo around the Cityhopper titles

Noise, your processing has added grain to the blue especially under the windows.

If you are going to process an image for effect it is always worth while adding a note to the screener to say that you have done so, otherwise they will judge the picture like any other and not as one with "artistic" content.

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:30 CET

Perhaps also a white halo above the cheat line (between the dark-blue and the light-blue color).

Possibly also due to the processing.

Nico du Preez 
Joined in May 2013
Posted 20 April 2014 - 19:39 CET

Hi there.

This picture was recently rejected. Screener/Editor had a problem with the contrast! What is your opinion?

This post has been edited by Nico du Preez on 20th April 2014 - 19:45

Attached photos:

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 20 April 2014 - 20:41 CET

It does lack contrast.

The brightest part of the picture is just about over exposed, that's above the cockpit but the darkest part is in-appropriately on the cyclists shorts, (RGB 23, 20, 8, not enough blue to make a shade of black) this has a colour imbalance, and therefore looks like it needs a contrast adjustment. The undercarriage should be in deep shadow and it's not quite a true shade of black

I colour corrected just the shadows and see the difference it made to your picture.

In my book you should reduce the exposure and improve the shadows. Photographers seems to be scared of shadows, probably attributed to the BAD DARK rejections from another site, just that at AP we try to call it by a better name than that. Shadows especially deep shadows at high sun angles are perfectly natural and trying to say they are not just ruins the contrast in the picture.

I forgot to say try and read up on how to read a Histogram it will show you where you need to improve the picture. See he blue hump on the left hand side that's your colour imbalance.

Try and remember that screeners look at lots of photos and they develop an eye for what is not right, sometimes they don't get the correct technical term but they get damn close!

I hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Wallace Shackleton on 20th April 2014 - 20:45

Attached photos:

Nico du Preez 
Joined in May 2013
Posted 20 April 2014 - 21:53 CET

Many thanks for the advise Wallace. I don't have Photoshop but I use Lightroom 4 to edit my photo's. What do you think of the amended photo?

Attached photos:

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 20 April 2014 - 22:43 CET

The shadows are improved.

Like I said read up on how to interpret the Histogram, don't go too deeply as it can ruin ones head when you try and figure out why there are clipped reds, greens and blues in the shadow end of the Histogram!

Set the white balance, don't over expose the picture and try and not play God too much with the HSL sliders. The chances are your picture was OK to start with so subtle tweaks are the order of the day.

If you need a colour balance check, use the white brush and hover it over something that looks to be black and remember equal values of Red, Green and Blue make true black when they are all near or at zero and true white at 100%.

Lightroom is a RAW converter, it is not a photo editing program, that job should be left to Photoshop, Elements and the likes.

I can recommend the Photoshop CC, the full version of Photoshop and Lightroom 5 for £9 per month and that includes the updates to the programs.

This post has been edited by Wallace Shackleton on 20th April 2014 - 22:43

Nikita Fedoseev 
Joined in March 2014
Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:52 CET

Hi all!

how to change these picture to upload?

Regards,

Attached photos:

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 26 April 2014 - 14:52 CET

A larger version would be easier to comment ...

This post has been edited by Murmeldeier on 26th April 2014 - 19:55

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1388 (43 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.