Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » How to reduce noise without loosing detail?

How to reduce noise without loosing detail?

Andre van der Hoeven 
Joined in June 2014
Posted 29 June 2014 - 13:56 CET

After having 15 photo's in a row rejected I'm getting quite demotivated. I get to hear that there is excessive digital noise. First I don't see this, but maybe that's because I'm originally an astrophotographer and there noise is often 1000x higher... Problem is that I just don't know how to get rid of it without loosing too much detail. Attached I have an image that according to screening has too much noise.

If anybody can point me in the right way, or share a good workflow that would be very, very welcome...

Thanks!

André

Attached photos:

Kamil Cison 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 29 June 2014 - 14:29 CET

Well, the sky looks a bit grainy. (not excessive though)

What you want to do is select the sky and apply noise reduction only to the sky.

I'd recommend software called Nik Collection which offers best noise reduction in the market (in my opinion)

So just use selective noise reduction and sharpen the planes only. (as you know, sharpening brings in noise)

It also seems like you've lost red color. (you need to use "save for web" option in photoshop because this website messes up colors if you do not do so)

I'd try smaller res for that photo. probs 1200x800 or 1440x960

Regards

This post has been edited by Kamil Cison on 29th June 2014 - 14:33

Attached photos:

Darryl Morrell 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 29 June 2014 - 20:02 CET

I always use Topaz noise reduction as part of my workflow, I always denoise every photo regardless before i sharpen it, works for me

Andre van der Hoeven 
Joined in June 2014
Posted 29 June 2014 - 23:53 CET

Thanks a lot! I got the trial of Nik dfine now. It is great! The image got much better I think...

Attached photos:

Victor Ambriz 

Joined in August 2013
Posted 12 August 2014 - 18:35 CET

actually I use noiseware to erase the digital noise to me is too good like dfine

Tave Myliu 

Joined in July 2013
Posted 25 October 2014 - 15:16 CET

GEvening!

Peter Brauns, I'm not entirely agree. If we use the lowest ISO (in this case, 100), the camera forces us to slow down, which in some cases is extremely slow for photography is completely blurred. Therefore it is necessary to balance ISO, Speed ​​and Aperture. And of course, do all this manual settings in your camera.

And always watching the meter.

Andre, my advice is easy. Shoot in RAW. Use manual mode. With good light conditions using low ISO, and increases progressively poor (not much) so you do not force photographs make very slow (sometimes it is fantastic to capture movements of propellers, etc). Always look at the meter for measuring light...and ENJOY!

A hugs.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1474 (41 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.