Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Main Object No Sharp

Main Object No Sharp

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 2 August 2014 - 22:09 CET

I'm having the same issue. I do my editing on a Mac retina screen and they look fine on the screen and print perfect, but I wonder if something happens during upload that changes it. I've loaded images that didn't look quite as sharp and they've been accepted. No idea what is going on.

Adrian Korth 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 2 August 2014 - 22:10 CET

Can't understand that either.

Had three shots rejected, because of the reason "main object is not sharp".

Like this example, since many of my friends saying it is sharp, it got rejected because of "main object is not sharp".

Attached photos:

Nigel Paine 
Joined in November 2008
Posted 3 August 2014 - 10:24 CET

Air Berlin shot looks good on my monitor. Put it in for appeal.

Jose I. Soria 

Joined in April 2014
Posted 3 August 2014 - 11:47 CET

That Air Berlin A321 looks good to me.

Adrian Korth 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 3 August 2014 - 13:38 CET

Yeah, I appealed that.

Thanks for help! Appreciate it! :)

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 3 August 2014 - 14:23 CET

There is no quality loss on upload. What you upload is what you see.

Nano, I am not sure I understand your question, but the motive of your photo seems OK, the plane is soft and there is a dark halo around the aircraft.

Adrian, the right wing of the Airbus and its tail are blurred on my screen.

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 3 August 2014 - 15:12 CET

I see the same problems that Martin mentioned with both pictures. Nano, there is a massive dark halo around the entire nose of the plane. I suspect this is because of being too aggressive with contrast and/or clarity.

Crossley 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 3 August 2014 - 22:17 CET

Hi guy's this issue always turns up somewhere in these forum's about image loss after upload, I can see both pictures on my screen, looking at them i can see that Nano its not your best so far the black halo around the aircraft plus there is a focus issue with the whole body showing slight blur.

Adrian your AirBerlin look's Cool i do like it from a personal level. But from the AP.net level i would say look at some local sharpening to the tail and wing section and this will be a winner.

Dont let rejection hold you back it take practise i know i failed so much in my younger months at Ap

A.Crossley

PrestonFiedler

Joined in June 2014
Posted 4 August 2014 - 02:20 CET

Hi Nano,

I see that you shoot Nikon. Make sure D-lighting is off, as that could cause those halos. As for focus, I use AF-C, auto-area AF, and Matrix metering, which seems to work pretty well for me. Make sure your shutter is high enough, obviously. A good rule of thumb is the shutter should be higher than your focal length.

Best Regards,

John

Klemen Florjancic 

Joined in December 2010
Posted 31 August 2014 - 18:50 CET

Hy there everyone!

I just got plenty of rejected photos due to "Main object blured, or not (or over) sharpened". I recently bought Canon EOS 7D (previously I had Canon EOS 1000D) - with 1000D I've had SOME rejections on sharpnes (about 8-10%), but not 80% of the uploaded pictures.

I know I have to learn about handeling this amazing piece of camera, BUT STILL...I uploaded plane A318 Air France from Munich airport and got rejected because "Main object not sharp"...I sharpen the photo a little bit and uploaded again, then i had another rejection due to "Over-sharpened"...

I started to wonder, if there are two diferent types of screeners - at on type pictures get through, jet on another type are rejected...I've seen worst pictures on this site (sharpnes) tough...

The picture in this post was rejected due to "Main object not sharp".

Attached photos:

Klemen Florjancic 

Joined in December 2010
Posted 31 August 2014 - 18:53 CET

...Picture in this post was sharpened A LITTLE BIT and still got rejected because of "Over-sharpened"...

Can you give me some opinion...

Tnx in advance...

Attached photos:

reus_747 

Joined in November 2012
Posted 1 September 2014 - 06:53 CET

Hi.

I see your last image, and I think it needs reducing sharpness for tail, fuselage ("AIRFRANCE") and more. There are jagged edges.

Klemen Florjancic 

Joined in December 2010
Posted 1 September 2014 - 15:02 CET

Yes,but what about the first pucture? BecausevI sharpened the first one just a little bit (radious 0,2 and 150%)...Ans this is what is seen in the second one...For my eyes, the first picture is OK

Hendrik Versteeg 
Joined in June 2014
Posted 1 September 2014 - 18:04 CET

FWIW, Like you, I think the first picture is OK too! Maybe the screener was having a bad day?

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 2 September 2014 - 06:16 CET

Reus is right in his analysis. As far as the first one it is indeed soft overall. I would use a brush on method for sharpening, focused on key areas. The Air France letters have an almost blurred appearance.

I have a tutorial video on YouTube where I move through my workflow.

As far as to the "maybe the screener had a bad day" comment Hendrik....I would refrain from publicly announcing that they may allow emotions guide their decisions.

They do this on a voluntary basis for us to have a great quality place to share photos. They take time away from family and "real jobs" in order to get pictures through the system.

Please use the team@Airplane-pictures.net email address if any of you have specific concerns with site related specifics. Public display of emotion, directed towards anyone will never result in something good.

Klemen Florjancic 

Joined in December 2010
Posted 2 September 2014 - 11:44 CET

I understand...Tnx everyone for their reply on my post here...We all are just humans, with flesh and blood underneath the skin...I had a "bad day" also when I was writing my first post...My apologies to all the screeners and...We all do crazy things when emotions are involved ;-)

Uwe Deffner 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 16 September 2014 - 19:54 CET

Just take it on the chin! When one screener says not sharp you have no chance, no matter what. Don't appeal, it does not work as screeners do not want to overrule others. They might as well take the appeal button off the website.

This picture of mine was ruled "main object not sharp". Cannot see why!

Wait for the storm!

Attached photos:

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 16 September 2014 - 21:32 CET

Double post

This post has been edited by Andre Nordheim on 16th September 2014 - 21:35

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 16 September 2014 - 21:32 CET

Use, please discuss all issues via the team email listed in the support section.

Public displeasure like this will not result in anything constructive.

I would focus the attention on the feedback, finding out why it was ruled as soft. I'm not on my desktop right now but the lettering and numbers are indeed soft.

This post has been edited by Andre Nordheim on 16th September 2014 - 21:34

Klemen Florjancic 

Joined in December 2010
Posted 16 September 2014 - 22:18 CET

I do not want to "play smart" here, but in your case, I think Andre is right here...Numbers are realy a bit soft...And please check out Andre's or Angelo's page on Youtube about selective sharpening...

BOTH pages on Youtube helped me A LOT!!!

And tnx goes to Andre and Angelo for bringing this video tutorials to us...It realy helps!!! Tnx guys ;-)

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 16 September 2014 - 22:25 CET

Thanks Klemen. Here are the links to mine and Angelo's videos.... Hopefully they can help others as well:

Editing Aviation Photography: http://youtu.be/Ga0cc3vtNME

Basic Aviation Edit: http://youtu.be/zHX6Hf7d6-4

Uwe Deffner 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 16 September 2014 - 22:29 CET

Oh, yes, Klemen!

Uwe Deffner 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 16 September 2014 - 22:32 CET

If the numbers are soft, I probably have to replace my huge MAC screen. Can't get the quality of screen any longer!

lol

Christoph Plank 

Joined in August 2013
Posted 17 September 2014 - 23:44 CET

Hi there :-)

Could someone give me a Opinion to my Foto please

They said it's not sharp at the first time and at secound it's oversharped :/

Regards

Christoph

Attached photos:

Elias hadjari 

Joined in November 2013
Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:51 CET

Main object is not sharp??

Attached photos:

Rodrigo Bertoli 

Joined in February 2013
Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:53 CET

Elias, the plane is not tottaly sharp. If you look around registration it's ok, but as you go torwards the nose, it lose sharpness.

You should try that Color channel sharpening from Angelo and the picture would look too much better. http://www.airplane-pictures.net/forum/2707/color-channel-sharpening/

Regards!

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:34 CET

Yes, that's correct. The subject is overall very soft.

Rodrigo Bertoli 

Joined in February 2013
Posted 21 September 2014 - 22:37 CET

The C-160 looks sharp enough to me.

Crossley 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 21 September 2014 - 22:44 CET

WeslyvB Hi buddy i like your picture it looks cool to be offer it a little contrast and a kick of sharpness 2% and your rocking.. Take it easy buddy will be looking out for this one.

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 21 September 2014 - 22:46 CET

The lettering and numbers are soft, almost appearing hazy. The same can be said around details on the fuselage.

Some selective sharpening may work here but the problem is most likely caused by a slower shutter speed since you wanted prop blur.

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013

Duplicate.

This post has been edited by Andre Nordheim on 21st September 2014 - 22:48

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013

Duplicate

This post has been edited by Andre Nordheim on 21st September 2014 - 22:47

Crossley 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 21 September 2014 - 22:50 CET

Elias hadjari i have looked at your picture however not one to people off so i wont. You picture is good but im not sure what happened here you seem to have moved your arm at the wrong time maybe.. And all you have done is offered your picture a slight blur around the fonted area's looking at the back of the aircraft the Large F has a slight blue bleed and the Reg is not that sharp. plus moving to the front fuselage under the front you have a little bit of noise catching my eye. you can fix this in photoshop and a steady hand.

Peet Broers 

Joined in July 2014
Posted 22 September 2014 - 17:49 CET

Well, This one also... Main object not sharp...

Attached photos:

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 22 September 2014 - 18:49 CET

Peet, I love the plane by the way. However, the picture isn't sharp at all. You can see this in all areas.....the text, around the flag, the stripe, etc. There is also a fair share of digital noise present, something that would make the picture even softer if trying to remove.

What I learned early on is to accept the fact that some pictures can't be saved when it comes to acceptance on a high quality aviation website. As a matter of fact, 90%+ of my clicks never end up being edited at all due to overall photo quality.

Look closely at the shot with critical eyes and you will see the same as I see. Another recommendation is to resize down to 1200px as it will cover up some of the flaws, including softness.

Peet Broers 

Joined in July 2014
Posted 22 September 2014 - 20:27 CET

Thanks for the help and tips Andre!

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 22 September 2014 - 21:06 CET

Any time Peet :)

Adriano Barreto 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 24 September 2014 - 22:49 CET

Hy guys,

Could someone give me a opinion please.

Main object is not sharp really ?

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/rejected-images/2014-9/461082.jpg

Thanks

Peet Broers 

Joined in July 2014
Posted 24 September 2014 - 23:00 CET

Hello Adriano,

Very good looking picture! The only thing I see which is "not sharp", are the outer lines of the aircraft. Easy to get rid of, if you use Photoshop, with the High Pass filter, which you can find if you select Filter, and then others, you will see it. Set the pixels to 0,3 and it should be fixed. At least this is the way I do it usually.

Hope this was useful.

Peet

Adriano Barreto 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 24 September 2014 - 23:06 CET

Peet,

I will try to use your tips to correct the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Adriano

AlphaJuliet 

Joined in January 2014
Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:23 CET

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/rejected-images/2014-9/453835.jpg

Man object is not sharp, really?

I thought I was Oversharp

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 1 October 2014 - 02:40 CET

Andre, the photo you've linked is indeed soft overall. Some of that may be improved by adding more contrasts. However, the overall shot is "hazy" making it appear soft. In this case I would treat the shot with selective sharpening to avoid some areas being oversharpened and some too soft. There are some signs of oversharpening on the nose gear door letters. The GOL logo can take more sharpening. It's easier to sharpen areas that aren't straight lines, hence the logo can take more treatment than other areas.

I'm sure you will see the same story if you look at the shot very closely. Can you share your exif settings for the shot?

Andre

Nick Delhanidis 
Joined in July 2013
Posted 7 October 2014 - 10:07 CET

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/458294/poland-air-force-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-29/

This post has been edited by Nick Delhanidis on 7th October 2014 - 18:35

Jose I. Soria 

Joined in April 2014
Posted 7 October 2014 - 16:43 CET

That photo is clearly not sharp...

Parth.Uberoi 
Joined in January 2015
Posted 1 March 2015 - 10:52 CET

Hi,

could you ,maybe give me some feedback on this picture as i am really new. This pic was rejected for "Main object not sharp"

Attached photos:

Manuel Domínguez 

Joined in March 2014
Posted 1 March 2015 - 14:09 CET

Parth.Uberoi, your picture is not sharp, you can see it clearly in the cockpit windows for example. The strange issue is that there are also sharp areas, what makes me guess that you've tanken the pic through a window, and glass imperfections caused the problem only in certain areas. Besides, there is a lot of visible digital noise in the shadows (i.e. lowest part of the fuselage) and there are some clipped shadows. A smaller size could help to avoid the digital noise, but I'm afraid that it wouldn't be enough to avoid the "Main object not sharp".

Stephan Reiche, your picture is a bit soft, not much really. Maybe the focus is a bit closer to your position instead of being on the plane. Try a smaller size and give some sharpening only to the plane (be careful with oversharpening!). Some areas need more sharpening than others (cockpit windows mainly).

Hope it helps. Cheers!

This post has been edited by Manuel Domínguez on 1st March 2015 - 14:10

Zach Liepa 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 4 March 2015 - 05:58 CET

"Soft and lacks contrast" do people agree? On my screen its sharp and there is lots of contrast :(

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/rejected-images/2015-3/529784.jpg

Crossley 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 4 March 2015 - 06:33 CET

You have this wonderful shot but had you taken it a few seconds later the outcome may have been different. They are close together the bottom aircraft dont look sharp (can you read titles) the fence in the bottom of the shot isnt helping to. A;so by inserting the logo over your aircraft you are distracting me from looking at the fuller picture..

Overall in my opinion could do with some extra work fire / flames look to be softened out airframe looks soft bottom one.

Im not a screener so please dont take my word for it. Crossley

Zach Liepa 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 4 March 2015 - 07:12 CET

The bottom plane was going at a different speed to the top two so I did not think that needed to be sharp, also ever shot after this one had almost no fire in the background :(

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 4 March 2015 - 08:00 CET

Andy is correct. The shot is very cool but unfortunately the main objects are rather soft. It's hard with scenes like these with so much stuff going on and focus tends to bump around. I'd be happy to look at the original if you can email me the raw file to sanordheim@gmail.com

Zach Liepa 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 4 March 2015 - 08:11 CET

Will do Andre, not on my computer right now but will when I can, really hope I can get it up as its my favorite shot of the day :)

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 4 March 2015 - 08:16 CET

I'll do an edit for you.

Zach Liepa 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 5 March 2015 - 10:41 CET

Andre I sent you the photo yesterday did you get it? Thanks

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 5 March 2015 - 16:51 CET

Yes, will look at it as soon as time allows :)

Daan van der Heijden 

Joined in October 2012
Posted 5 March 2015 - 17:23 CET

What I see in this subject is that almost all pictures are uploaded in 1600px, try and upload in a lower resolution (e.g. 1024 or 1200 on the longer side). The odds may then turn in your favour ;)

Zach Liepa 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 5 March 2015 - 22:07 CET

Great, thank you :)

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1354 (14 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.