Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Visible Banding - What does that mean?

Visible Banding - What does that mean?

Adrian Korth 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 4 August 2014 - 19:19 CET

Hey guys,

had a reject because of visible branding, what does that actually mean and how to remove that?

Using GIMP (can't afford PS yet) and yeah, I would like to know how to remove that, because in my opinion, it's actually a really cool shot. By the way, what do you guys think about that picture?

Greets and thanks in advance,

Adrian

This post has been edited by Adrian Korth on 4th August 2014 - 19:20

Attached photos:

PrestonFiedler

Joined in June 2014
Posted 4 August 2014 - 19:53 CET

Hi Adrian,

The banding is referring to the halos around the cockpit, most noticeable by the cockpit.

John

Adrian Korth 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 4 August 2014 - 20:00 CET

Well, the screener wasn't referring to the helos around the cockpit, he was actually referring to the (I'm quoting:) "...visible banding under the engine either from the compression or the addition of the blur in post."

I'm confused now, because you are referring to the helos around the cockpit but the screener is referring to the area around the engine.

Do you have any example, that you can show, of the visible branding? I can't really imagine myself, how this visible branding should look like.

Greets,

Adrian

This post has been edited by Adrian Korth on 4th August 2014 - 20:00

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 4 August 2014 - 22:02 CET

Banding can indeed be produced by the blur process you applied to the contour of the image;

There are (as far as I know) not tons of ways to avoid it except by reducing the blur effect around the plane (or adding noise which strangely reduces the banding effect).

I tried to show you where the banding is (black) and where the halo around the plane is (red);

The halo seems to be where the borderline between the "sharp" and the "blurred" part is if you see what I mean.

Attached photos:

Adrian Korth 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 6 August 2014 - 00:51 CET

Hey,

thank you Murmeldeier.

Will correct it asap.

Greets,

Adrian

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1352 (25 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.