Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Heat haze

Heat haze

Oscar Lammers Photography 

Joined in July 2014
Posted 6 August 2014 - 10:59 CET

Hello,

My photo is rejected because of the heat haze.

I like the picture and I think that you can see the heat haze behind an engine most of the times.

I'm quite new with aviation photography so maybe you can help me with this.

Are there any tips for editing the photo in Photoshop to reduces the heat haze?

Are there also any tips when I take a photo to avoid heat haze?

Sorry for my bad English because it is not my foreign language.

Thanks!!

Attached photos:

PrestonFiedler

Joined in June 2014
Posted 6 August 2014 - 20:15 CET

Hi,

The heat haze here is unrelated to the engine. In front of the aircraft there are wavy lines that should be straight, an indication of heat haze. There is no way to edit this, but you can take photos in the early morning or late evening to help avoid it. Also, minimizing your distance to the aircraft helps.

Regards,

John

Oscar Lammers Photography 

Joined in July 2014
Posted 7 August 2014 - 10:40 CET

Thank you for your answer John!!

Jordy v Wees 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 7 August 2014 - 18:35 CET

Goedenavond,

Heathaze is een probleem dat voorkomt bij warme dagen en hier is zoals eerder gezegd helaas niets aan te doen. . Doordat de zwart baan warmte vasthoud straalt hij dit ook weer uit heathaze dus.. daarom zijn dit soort shots in de zomer wat moeilijker te maken dan wanneer het -10 vriest zeg maar haha!

PrestonFiedler

Joined in June 2014
Posted 7 August 2014 - 19:33 CET

Hi,

Actually Jordy is slightly incorrect in his reply. Heat haze can occur at any temperature and can also occur at any altitude. All heat haze is a layer of atmospheric disturbance forming between two masses of air at different temperature as the hot air is rising and the cool air is falling.

Regards,

John

mitchel kuppens 
Joined in July 2013
Posted 7 August 2014 - 20:45 CET

It can't if the groundtemprature is under 0 degrees John.

Jared Romanowicz 
Joined in December 2013
Posted 9 August 2014 - 09:03 CET

Technically incorrect Mitchel. Heat haze is caused by convection, or a difference in temperature. For example, if the ground temperature is -5, but the air just above the ground is -10, then the "warmer" air will still rise. So even on a frigid day, if its sunny out, your most likely still going to encounter heat haze.

The reason that early mornings (just after sunrise) are better is because the ground has had less time to warm up from the sun, therefore the temperature difference remains small. The reason late evenings (just before sunset) are better is because by this time the temperature just above the pavement has begun to decrease and temperature difference once again begins to become smaller, which in turn decreases the amount of heat haze.

mitchel kuppens 
Joined in July 2013
Posted 9 August 2014 - 10:42 CET

But Jared have you ever seen Heat haze in the winter? Just wondering, I didn't :)

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 9 August 2014 - 20:10 CET

I did... Jared is correct; its because of air movement, not because of an absolute temperature.

Often in winter the ground is colder, so no convection. In some cases the tarmac/runway/ground can get heated by sunlight and cause heathaze, though its not as strong because of the weak sun during winter months.

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 9 August 2014 - 20:23 CET

Taken beginning of March in Anchorage, Alaska... freezing my feet off in the deep snow and heathaze like crazy;

Attached photos:

mitchel kuppens 
Joined in July 2013
Posted 9 August 2014 - 20:43 CET

Thanks! I haven't seen this yet or didn't notice!

Jared Romanowicz 
Joined in December 2013
Posted 9 August 2014 - 21:52 CET

I'll be honest mitchel, I was going strictly off of the scientific reasons heat haze is formed. I live in Phoenix, and since I've been doing photography I have only gone to "cold weather" climates during summer months, so I didn't have any examples to prove my point. I'm glad JPC was able to provide an example.

This post has been edited by Jared Romanowicz on 9th August 2014 - 21:53

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1447 (19 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.