Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Moving to Full frame or keep with APS-C, this is getting me nuts!!

Moving to Full frame or keep with APS-C, this is getting me nuts!!

crav8or 

Joined in November 2013
Posted 20 September 2014 - 18:49 CET

Hi all,

I have now six years with my Canon 40D and I think it's time to move on and give myself a treat. A few months ago I purchased a 70-300 L and it has done a terrific work helping me to get nice pictures, although they might not be the best with my noisy, cropping camera.

Since now I would like to move on and take some steps further, what are your thoughts about FF and cropping sensor SLR'S?

Right now the 7Dm2 that just went announced sounds cool in many aspects, but many people say that it looks just like the previous 7D. I know it is too early to judge it since it is not still in the market, but I would go for a FF instead, thinking of a 5Dmk3, a true working machine that I might carry with me for some years, and purchasing some prime lens to take fully advantage of it.

Will be really appreciated with your comments

Stefan Markov-LBSF 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:49 CET

Well, I am new into photography but as far asI know, or to say it better IMO buy another crop sensor like the 60 or 70D and continue with the 70-300L glass. At one specific moment after some years you will buy a tele prime lense, and may be but only may be then the FF body will become as cheap as as a crop, because like everything else the natural flow of things is to evolve...Said so it will be the same for companies to produce FF or crops and slowly the medium size formats will disappear. But for now the 70D will deliver the goods you need on a reasonable price. It is all up to you-if you can manage a FF and work with the 300mm being 300mm go ahead, you wont make a mistake! Best of luck!

P.S. I am a Nikon user so if I have a mistake on something please excuse me! :)

Tamas Kolos-Lakatos 
Joined in August 2011
Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:59 CET

I'm in a very similar situation. My 40D is about six years old, but it's still going strong. I've been thinking about upgrading to the 70D or 7dmkii or 6D.

I've tested the 6D and had very pleasing results. The IQ is excellent and high-ISO noise performance is terrific. The downside, however, is that it's a full frame and I lose a lot of zoom that I need at airshows or spotting at distant locations around airports. For most of the photography I do, the crop sensor just makes more sense. Also, the AF is a bit too slow for anything fast moving.

Last weekend, I borrowed a 70D for an airshow. (You can find a few photos that I took if you search for Myricks airport.) The camera provided great results, but I still found the AF a bit slow compared to a 7D I owned for a while. Also, the 70D has a buffer of 14 RAW images, so if you're trying to catch a low passing military jet at 7 fps, it gives you only 2 seconds. I found it too little. The noise was better than the old 7D, but not comparable to the 6D of course.

As of now, I'll rent the 7Dmkii when it comes out to give it a proper test. Wonder if it's worth the price difference over the 70D or the old 7D.

crav8or 

Joined in November 2013
Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:02 CET

I really appreciate your comments folks, indeed I would like to get in some time a tele prime, and I am definitely cautious about loosing the crop factor with a full frame. That scares me a little.

I am waiting for the 7Dm2 reviews when it gets on the market. I just can wait hehe

Jan Jasinski 

Joined in November 2010
Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:44 CET

Full frame... once you get one you won't look back. The image quality is just beyond wonderful, no matter how good the specs are on a crop, you won't get that IQ and dynamic range of a FF. Lose some range, but improve you're post-processing and make-do with what you have. I find 400mm to be plenty most of the time on my 6D.

Uwe Deffner 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:56 CET

I came from APS-C and bought a Canon 5D Mk III two years ago. Never looked back. The image quality is just outstanding in terms of noise and sharpness. You must, however, have good lenses!

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1329 (9 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.