Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Cockpit Photos

Cockpit Photos

WesVDell 
Joined in March 2014
Posted 29 September 2014 - 23:42 CET

We all know cockpit photos can be difficult, especially without flash. I've seen some really great ones on here that I'm guessing are created from multiple exposures to balance the brighter exterior with the darker interior. I've been trying this technique on commercial flights lately but it still tends to end up with overblown exterior highlights compared to the interior. This one is the best result so far, hand held, 3 shots bracketed down to -2EV, with aperture set to f8. The cockpit details came out nice enough, but still the highlights dominate. Any advice for shooting balanced cockpit photos without flash? Thanks in advance!

-Wes

Attached photos:

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 30 September 2014 - 00:54 CET

Shoot in RAW, it makes it really easy to get a good balance afterwards. But apart from that, the best thing is not to take pictures during the day, but if you have no other choice you can even try to use the flash indirectly.

All my cockpit exposures are with a single shot, never used bracket in my life.

Otherwise, its just a matter of trail and error. Get a feel for the light, for your camera and the dynamic balance of your sensor. Try to find a way not to over expose the windows, but not to have the rest completely black and you'll find a way in the end :)

WesVDell 
Joined in March 2014
Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:30 CET

Thanks JPC. Your photos are quite inspirational and I appreciate your advice. I should have mentioned I do shoot in raw. From what you're saying, perhaps I've gotten it a little backwards. I usually start by adjusting exposure for the cockpit details, perhaps I should be aiming to get more detail from the outside and then increasing the interior brightness in post. I shall try that next time, or shooting when there isn't so much light. Any feedback on the attached photo above?

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:03 CET

You're more then welcome, great to hear my photos are an inspiration to you!

Concerning the photo you attached; its an interesting cockpit and already quite a nice photo, but if I were you I would try (if possible) to get a bit more distance so you can capture a bit more of the total cockpit, or use a wider angle lens if you have one. Also, it seems like the angle is just a tiny bit off... for the eye its often more attractive to have a cockpit taken from exactly the middle, or from a far side, so you get the fly-on-the-wall idea. Just to keep in the back of your mind if you have another chance.

The light is indeed very difficult on this one, I think it would have been much more to your liking if there was a cloudy sky or even a low setting sun. But of course, you cannot really influence that once you get a chance to take some pictures in the cockpit ;)

Keep on trying and Im sure you'll find a situation where you suddenly see the right angle, the light and the settings... Eyecatcher coming up! ;)

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1852 (14 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.