Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Pp editing question

Pp editing question

currymonster
Joined in November 2014
Posted 8 December 2014 - 22:31 CET

hi

I'm new to this forum but been using digital slr's for a bit now traded in my Canon EOS 50D for a Nikon D7100

One area which has always escaped me is underexposure to the cockpit windows and engine turbines on say a 777 waiting for takeoff for example

I see many pictures not always bright days which show not black cockpit windows like my shots but clear transparent see the pilot clarity with engine turbines showing the blades clearly, whereas mine are just black

I was wondering what you guys do to achieve these results, i tried selecting just these areas and adjusting the curves in photoshop but made a mess of things.

I have only ever come close to this once but that came out of the camera as i wanted it with no pp required....it WAS a sunny day

Stefan Markov-LBSF 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 12 December 2014 - 19:50 CET

Well one thing you can try if you have Lightroom is to open up a bit the shadows and the blacks. But be carefull, don't get too excited to conserve the realistic image. or if you want wacky effects try some HDR plug-ins for Photoshop and Lightroom!

Best of luck, Stefan Markov

currymonster
Joined in November 2014
Posted 12 December 2014 - 20:09 CET

Hi Stefan....thanks for the reply

Yeah tried that thanks and yes you are right noise can creep in if not careful.

Thanks for being the one reply out of 173 views !

☺️

Stefan Markov-LBSF 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:05 CET

Go on youtube and search Angelo Bufalino's chanel. He is a photograpfer from this site and there, he has posted some great vids on post-procesing! I learnd a lot from them! Or just play until you discover the succsessful formula-make your photos as good as you want them to be!

Stefan Markov-BGspotters

currymonster
Joined in November 2014
Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:08 CET

Thanks

Will do

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:03 CET

Most definitely it starts with the exposure. Make sure your ISO is as low as conditions permit (no lower than native ISO) and I would shoot in aperture priority for taxiing aircraft. Use AF-C mode with single point focus on the front of the plane. Dial in +1 EV exposure compensation. Take the shot in RAW. After importing, create 2 additional copies of the unedited file. One of the copies set the exposure to -2 EV the other to +2 EV. Now use a program like NIK HDR Efex Pro or Photomatix to blend the 3 together. Now you can recover some the the darker tones in the engines and cockpits. This is just one way to accomplish what you are trying to do. :)

currymonster
Joined in November 2014
Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:23 CET

Thanks Angelo,

That all makes a whole lot of sense

I will enjoy trying what you have suggested and let you know how it went.

I checked out the Youtube tutorials you did and they are great help too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 2002 (30 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.