Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Canon 100-400 IS mode 1 or 2

Canon 100-400 IS mode 1 or 2

Jean-Charles Hubert 

Joined in November 2014
Posted 23 December 2014 - 23:16 CET

Hello,

First of all, sorry if this as been asked before, can't find a search option for the forum

For the Canon users, if i understand correctly: Image Stabalization mode 1 is for handheld shots and 2 for tripod/monpod or pan shots. I usually always use 1 but i've been wandering if, since spotting pictures involves mostly panning to follow a plane as it moves across the frame, shouldn't position 2 be mostly used. i'm asking because i'm under the impression that some of my shots in sequence, I have a 7D, are blurred because of the IS setting in 1.

Thanks,

Nigel Paine 
Joined in November 2008
Posted 24 December 2014 - 00:43 CET

Hi,

Mode 2 for panning shots, but it is only really effective if you are panning very slowly. A nice smooth reasonably quick panning motion is unlikely to have any up / down movements which the mode 2 would be trying to compensate for.

Try practising on passing cars from quite a long distance (slow panning action), and then up close (fast panning action).

It won't be long before you're panning with no I S at all !

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1607 (26 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.