Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Prime glass

Prime glass

Stefan Markov-LBSF 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 2 April 2015 - 19:37 CET

Well I must say taht during the last 2-3 months I have learned a lot about photography and not only planespotting. I have been thinking for some time now of buying a prime lense, to be exact nikkor 300mm f/4d if-ed. My body is D7000 and I am happy with it, but I feel that I need quality glass with reach above 200-250mm. And money is a problem thats why I am keen on seeing samples form this exact lense 'cos in Bulgaria you can get a new one for around 1900 levs (around 1000 euro). Any advise with pros and cons is more than welcome!

Igor Kmet 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 2 April 2015 - 21:50 CET

Stefan , i used 300 F4 if-ed several years not for planes only. See my pics, practicaly all of them are captured wih 300 F4 . I was very satisfied with it , but sold it because new one 300 f4 VR , lighter, shorter and with stabilisation is now available.. I would recommend this new one.

BjarneEA 

Joined in January 2009
Posted 2 April 2015 - 22:44 CET

If it is the AF-S version of 300mm F4, I can also recommend it. It is very sharp, even with a TC14E-II on.

I use it on my D7100. I am very happy with it. Of course it is heavier than the new VR, but only half the price.

http://www.bythom.com/300AFSlens.htm

/Bjarne

This post has been edited by BjarneEA on 2nd April 2015 - 22:46

Richard Parkhouse 
Joined in June 2011
Posted 4 April 2015 - 18:04 CET

Hi Stefan

I use the Nikon 300mm F4D AF-S IF ED on my D300 and it is a great lens.

Pros: Very Sharp, Great Build Quality, Quick focussing, good value for money, can be used with 1.4TC (not the latest one though) and also the 1.7TC in good light.

Cons: No VR, a bit heavy.

I would definately recommend this lens but it may be worth waiting for the price to drop on the latest model which has VR and is a lot lighter.

A couple of sample images from this lens below.

Cheers, Richard

Attached photos:

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 2130 (35 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.