Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Front end sharp, rear end unsharp

Front end sharp, rear end unsharp

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 7 May 2015 - 18:59 CET

Hi everybody, can someone explain me how it is possible and how you can avoid the big difference in sharpness between the rear and front end of the plane? See this shot of the Aer Lingus which I took a couple of days ago.

Attached photos:

Stefan Markov-LBSF 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 7 May 2015 - 19:12 CET

It is "thanks" to the paning effect. Many times it goes like this. For me personally works focussing ot the center of the airplane using only central point. Other possible way is to try to have a panning only on the nose.That way you wont have focus problems! :)

Igor Kmet 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 8 May 2015 - 07:20 CET

In my opinion its question of DOF ( http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm , http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm). Try to use bigger F numbers 8, 11 if possible and if you use single point for focusing , try it put to the center of plane , not on the nose.

Richard Parkhouse 
Joined in June 2011
Posted 8 May 2015 - 17:57 CET

This is not a DOF issue, but as Stefan says, due to the panning effect. The front of the aircraft is moving at a different speed to the rear of the aircraft, relative to the position of the camera, causing motion blur on some of the subject. This is not noticeable at high shutter speeds but may become an issue as you go for longer shutter speeds. I have found that if you shoot in bursts, you may well get one frame which is sharp throughout.

Shame about your shot though, it looks great with the tyre smoke!

Cheers

Richard

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 9 May 2015 - 18:05 CET

Thank you guys, I think 1/60 was probably a bit to slow. I will try some different settings next time, cheers, Gerard

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1230 (21 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.