Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Site-related » I don't understand acceptance ratio in member stats

I don't understand acceptance ratio in member stats

AlphaMike 
Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:29 CET

Why is it that I have uploaded four pictures in the last 365 days, had zero rejections and have four pictures in the database, and yet I have an acceptance ratio of 0.6667???

Photos in queue: 5

Photos not published (last 7 days): You have no rejected images

Published photos: 4

Photos in database: 4

Screening acceptance ratio in last 365 days: 0.6667

Number of uploaded photos in last 365 days: 4

Number of eyecatchers since joining AP: 1

According to my abacus acceptance ratio is incorrect. Clarification would be appreciated,

AlphaMike

Richard Parkhouse 
Joined in June 2011
Posted 15 February 2016 - 15:01 CET

Hi AlphaMike

I notice from the stats you provided that you have 5 photos in the queue. If any of those were in screening when you checked your acceptance ratio, this will have an effect. As soon as a photo goes in to screening, it counts towards your Photos not Published stats, so it looks as if you had 2 in screening at the time. Assuming your photo is accepted onto the database, your ratio will be adjusted accordingly. Therefore, the only time your ratio will be 100% accurate is when you have no photos in screening.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers

Richard.

Matt Reynolds 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 15:39 CET

Very complex but true

Craig Stevens 

Joined in February 2013
Posted 15 February 2016 - 15:41 CET

Accepted images ÷ by the amount of uploaded images that also includes your rejected images = Your acceptance ratio.

AlphaMike 
Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 16:08 CET

Well that's completely flawed logic then...

Say for example I had 50 photos on the database, and 20 rejected. That would make 20/70, or about 70%, grounds for being a Full Member. But if I also had five in screening, I would have 50 on the database, 20 rejected but the extra five (i.e. a total of 25 out of 75) would make it appear that my acceptance ratio was only around 62%.

Currently the logic applied seems to suggest guilty until proven innocent (or rather, rejected until accepted). At the very least, those either not screened or part way through the process should not count to the acceptance ratio.

AlphaMike

AlphaMike 
Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 16:10 CET

Craig said: Accepted images ÷ by the amount of uploaded images that also includes your rejected images = Your acceptance ratio.

Craig, I understand the maths... Four screened, four accepted, none rejected, should equal 100%, whatever the status of the five still in the queue

Richard Parkhouse 
Joined in June 2011
Posted 15 February 2016 - 16:48 CET

Don't forget that images are only in screening for less than a day and this wouldn't affect your chances of becoming a Full Member as all you would need to do is wait for a day until all your images had been screened (unless they were all rejected of course!) As you get more shots on the data base, this anomaly becomes much less significant - I now have over 450 shots accepted and even with 5 in screening, the difference is negligible.

As regards Full Membership, in my experience gaining 3 eyecatchers is the most difficult thing, so I wouldn't worry too much about your acceptance ratio at this stage. The four photos you already have accepted are great shots, so keep up the good work.

Richard

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 15 February 2016 - 17:25 CET

Quote Richard Parkhouse:

... in my experience gaining 3 eyecatchers is the most difficult thing ...

How wonderfully said! The art of understatement, something we British are so good at!

Nigel Paine 
Joined in November 2008
Posted 15 February 2016 - 17:48 CET

Am i dreaming it, or about 8 years ago was part of the FM criteria 3 eyecatchers in 3 months ? That was what you call a challenge !

Richard Parkhouse 
Joined in June 2011
Posted 15 February 2016 - 18:13 CET

It still is a challenge Nigel !

AlphaMike 
Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 18:43 CET

Quote Nigel Paine:

Am i dreaming it, or about 8 years ago was part of the FM criteria 3 eyecatchers in 3 months ? That was what you call a challenge !

Am I dreaming it, or about 8 years ago were the standards much lower ? The current standards are what you call a challenge ! For the proletariat that have to meet them anyway!

AlphaMike

Matt Reynolds 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 19:56 CET

Its a challenge alright, but one that we all rise to every day ;)

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 15 February 2016 - 20:33 CET

Thanks for your feedback, well spotted. The acceptance ratio was corrected so it does not include the photos in screening. Please could you check your stats now?

Nigel is right, the FM criteria used to be stricter in the past.

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 15 February 2016 - 21:00 CET

Quote Martin Krupka:

The acceptance ratio was corrected so it does not include the photos in screening

Will this now apply to all members who have photos "In Screening"?

In my entire membership period of four years whenever I had photos "In Screening" my ratio always reflected the 'negative' as if the photo had already been rejected. If the 'negative' now comes only after rejection, this discussion as raised by AlphaMike, has brought about a very positive outcome.

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 15 February 2016 - 21:52 CET

Marius, yes, all photos in screening won't be counted as rejected. Let me know in case you experience any odd behavior.

AlphaMike 
Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 21:54 CET

Quote Ade Tandy:

0.6667 I can only dream of that I dont seem to be able to get above 0.4667

Ade, I get the impression that if you want to achieve full membership, it pays to be very conservative in terms of image correction - at least until you qualify!! ;-)

AlphaMike 
Joined in December 2015
Posted 15 February 2016 - 21:55 CET

Quote Martin Krupka:

The acceptance ratio was corrected so it does not include the photos in screening. Please could you check your stats now?

Thank you Martin, it is indeed fixed now!

AlphaMike

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 21 February 2016 - 14:14 CET

Quote Martin Krupka:

Let me know in case you experience any odd behaviour.

Over the past 10 days I have uploaded 4 pictures, the first three were accepted and the last one was rejected. The first three increased my acceptance ratio by .0016% for each picture (total increase .0048%), however the rejected last picture decreased my ratio by .0042%. How is it possible that when a single picture is rejected the negative loss of percentage is almost three times higher than what it would have been had the picture been accepted?

Conversely, the penalty for rejection is three times more than the reward for acceptance on the same picture. Why is that?

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 21 February 2016 - 15:12 CET

I think this number is not frozen in time, since the last 365 days count for it.

Screening acceptance ratio in last 365 days: (xyz)

Number of uploaded photos in last 365 days: (abc)

Maybe in a certain week 12 months ago you have some more pictures accepted than (or vice versa) and this may have some influence in the final average.

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 21 February 2016 - 15:19 CET

No Ricardo, read my post again. This happened in the last 10 days.

Thomas Ranner 

Joined in September 2014
Posted 21 February 2016 - 15:25 CET

Maybe Ricardo is right, as it can happen that exactly 365 days before your last image was rejected you had two or three accepts. If this would be the case your ratio would go down more than only .0016% because the accepts from 365 days ago don't count anymore.

But maybe it is an error...

Best Regards

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 21 February 2016 - 15:44 CET

No Thomas, not the case. I watched my total uploads over the past 365 days go up from 124 to 125 to 126 for the three accepted pictures. If picture No 4 was accepted it would have been 127. Picture No 127 was rejected, so my total uploads remained at 126 over 365 days.

Thomas Ranner 

Joined in September 2014
Posted 21 February 2016 - 15:59 CET

Well, then it has to be something different xD

Thomas Ranner 

Joined in September 2014
Posted 21 February 2016 - 16:14 CET

Ok maybe I've got the solution now ...

Let's say you have uploaded 10 pictures and got 8 accepted. So your ratio is 8/10 which is 0.8.

Now you upload 1 picture:

If it gets accepted you have a ratio of 9/11 which is 0.8181.

If it gets rejected your ratio is 8/11 which is 0.7272.

As you can see the ratio increased for 0.0181 in the first case and decreased for 0.0728 in the second case.

So depending on your ratio a accepted or a rejected image counts more.

Hope that this makes sense to you...

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 21 February 2016 - 16:38 CET

I have sent you an email.

Thomas Ranner 

Joined in September 2014
Posted 21 February 2016 - 17:19 CET

Well, if you were talking to me, the Mail didn't arrived at it's destination...

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 21 February 2016 - 17:31 CET

The mail can be slow .... :)

However Thomas, I think your formula is right. The accepted pictures are divided by the amount of submissions and then calculated as a percentage.

My thanks and appreciation to yourself and Ricardo for your interest and help.

Thomas Ranner 

Joined in September 2014
Posted 21 February 2016 - 17:41 CET

The mail seems really slow to me, its still on the way ^^

But anyway I'm happy that I could help you ;)

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1404 (15 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.