Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Civil aviation » Not sure about a reject

Not sure about a reject

Adam Tetzlaff 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 3 March 2016 - 00:31 CET

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/rejected-images/2016-3/679579.jpg

This is the shot that was rejected, first screener complained of foreground/background clutter - well, it is de-icing, thats part of the shot.

Second said they agreed and noted there was banding in the sky, which I can't find anywhere.

Worth an appeal?

M.R. de Mooij
Joined in December 2015
Posted 3 March 2016 - 07:58 CET

They probably ment the fence when they were adressing foreground/background clutter. I can see banding in the sky, on the right side of the picture where there is coming light from a light pole.

Kamil Cison 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 3 March 2016 - 14:33 CET

Hope you can see what they meant by banding on my little umm.. help sheet :P

As for the fence, its upon screener's discretion .. some like it some don't. If not the other reason, I'd appeal - it's a great shot.

ps

at least your fence doesn't go through the bottom half of the aircraft... *wink, wink* ...

Attached photos:

Adam Tetzlaff 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 3 March 2016 - 15:57 CET

The comment about background clutter is what leaves me scratching my head, foreground I get it, there is a fence. Either way, I just don't see how those detract from a photo to warrant a rejection.

As for the banding, I use Retina Macbook Pro, I still can't see any, I wonder if it is an issue of a different screen.

Anyhow, thanks to you both! I appreciate your feedback, and will definitely consider an appeal. I just want to make sure that the appeal has a good chance of success so my ratio doesn't suffer any more from this shot.

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 3 March 2016 - 17:18 CET

Hi Adam

- The use of the term "foreground / background clutter" is in the context of either / or meaning it is one or the other.

- The banding is so minimal and not even worth talking about - I have seen far worse.

- You cannot be penalised a second time if you lose the Appeal. If you lose it your ratio stays what it is now, if you win it then your ratio should improve (go up) as if the picture was never rejected. That is the whole point of a successful Appeal, to rectify the wrong.

Adam Tetzlaff 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 3 March 2016 - 19:12 CET

Thanks Marius, very helpful answers!

Jakub Nanowski 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 3 March 2016 - 19:36 CET

Well, the banding is really weak. I have to tilt the screen of my laptop to see it.

Speaking about the clutter - I would try to crop the image to 16x9 proportions. There is too much sky on the image, and that's why my eyes concentrate too much on the fence to compensate the whole composition. I hope I'm not the only freak that has that feeling :D

Anyway it's a good piece of image, definitely worth trying to appeal.

Adam Tetzlaff 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 3 March 2016 - 19:57 CET

Thanks Jakub, Ill try that crop for my own personal shot.

As for everyone, I think this post is a testament to how tight knit this community can be. I can't tell you all how grateful I am to have people giving me advice and wisdom gained over years of experience. As someone relatively new to all of this, it makes me smile to know that there are people out there that really care!

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1224 (27 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.