Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Airports & photo locations » Amsterdam Schiphol Airport; rent a bike

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport; rent a bike

Phil D. 

Joined in April 2014
Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:49 CET

Hi folks,

I'll be in AMS and I heard that it isn't easy to go to spots like Polderbaan without a bike. Is there a possibility to rent a bike at the airport? If not, is there another way to get there (I'll buy myself a day-ticket from GVB)?

Thanks for your answers,

Philipp Duda

Jeffrey Schäfer 

Joined in November 2009
Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:33 CET

Hi Philipp,

First of all I have to tell you that a GVB ticket is not useful as there's only one GVB bus at Schiphol (Bus 69 from Airport to Amsterdam Sloterdijk Train station), which is not really a good connection for any spotting locations. You should buy a Connexxion ticket.

Second of all. There are hotels around the airport that have bike rental. Dutch people also use the "OV Fiets'' and pay with their public transport chip card. Not sure if that is possible if you don't have such card. You can check their websites.

Good luck and have fun.

Daan van der Heijden 

Joined in October 2012
Posted 22 March 2016 - 14:10 CET

Hi Philipp,

I'd like to add to Jeffrey's reply that if you buy an 'OV-Chipkaart' (sort of Oystr card for public transport in the Netherlands) you can add a so-called 'Jaarabonnement Schiphol (JAS)' to the card which allows you to travel for free around Schiphol with the red 'Schiphol Sternet' busses. You can reach several places by bus.

The spotting sites at the Polderbaan are located far away from the airport terminal (nearest one is 10 km) and are hard to reach by bus. I advise you to contact one of the local spotters/photographers who have planned to come to the airport when you are there. Most of them are more than willing to show you around. It's a very friendly community.

I wish you good luck and lots of fun. I hope you will manage to get some nice shots.

Regards,

Daan

Phil D. 

Joined in April 2014
Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:45 CET

Thanks for all your replies Jeffrey, Daan and Ade :)

Sebastián Ulloa 

Joined in April 2015
Posted 23 March 2016 - 18:44 CET

Hey Guys,

What would be the best time to visit, weather, light etc wise. Planning to head up that way, but it's a long way from my place and quite expensive too, so would love to plan and have those factors on my side.

Any suggestions on hotels etc.

Sebastian

Andrea Balbin 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 25 March 2016 - 20:03 CET

Last August I went to Amsterdam and I booked a room at the Park Plaza because here you can rent a bike directly at the hotel and it is not far away from the Polderbaan both east and west side and from other spotter location.

Anna Kucharz 

Joined in July 2012
Posted 27 March 2016 - 19:54 CET

I was staying at Radisson Blu near the airport, free shuttle bus plus rent a bike on site (KLM livery), I managed to ride around thew whole Shiphol twice :D

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1397 (20 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.