Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Main object is not sharp. Can it be fixed?

Main object is not sharp. Can it be fixed?

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 2 June 2016 - 12:35 CET

Hi, this photo was rejected due to the reason pointed in the title.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/rejected-images/2016-5/726721.jpg

Sometimes screeners tell you things like dust spot near the tail (so you can spot it) or give you other tips regarding color cast, dark, etc. I'm aware that individual tips from screeners for every rejected picture would drive them crazy and extend the time for screening for all community. But when the consideration comes in a more vague way it becomes quite difficult to find the error. May be it is on the "American" letters, I am not sure.

Anyway, an issue like that could be fixed? How?

Clone stamp, processing it again, giving it another high pass filter to get it sharper? Or just forget about it and keep going on?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Igor Kmet 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 2 June 2016 - 19:34 CET

Ricardo, IMHO its tail part. Look at numbers.Better postproceesing will not help. There is no EXIF, but more DOF would help ( F8 or even more) and focusing somewhere to the centre of the plane instead of nose.

Adam Tetzlaff 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 3 June 2016 - 00:06 CET

I wouldn't say its a DOF issue. Remember, distance form focal point and depth of field are directly proportional. Thus, shooting an airplane from hundreds of feet away, you could shoot at a very wide aperture and not have any issues. Just about any camera/lens can spit out a sharp image, its just a matter of focus. Sometimes cameras miss focus for a frame or two, and that results in a soft result. Unfortunately, not much that can be done there besides keeping shooting :) hope that helps!

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 3 June 2016 - 18:25 CET

Thank you Igor and Adam for your opinions.

The parameters for the photo, Igor, were: 1/1000, f5.0, ISO 250, +1.3EV, 271mm.

Aperture was this big because in general I prefer to shoot in speed mode (Tv for Canon) other than aperture for aircraft in movement. For sure I recognize better pictures happens with apertures from 5.6 to f7.1 or f8.0 with my gear (EOS 70d and 100-400mm II lens).

SBGR/GRU receives 4 American Airlines flights every morning (3 B-777 and one B-787) and I've noticed that quite frequently the titles "American" get blurred. I used single point focus aimed to the front part of the aircraft. Even when I aim directly to the title trying to get it in sharp focus it often gets blurred. It only happens with AA aircraft and that remains a mistery to me!

For sure I'll keep shooting, Adam! But right now we're facing our "Winter" (nothing that compares to Canada) the problem is the foreign planes land very early in the morning, with no light. I have to wait for Summer time, from October to March, or so, when airlines arrive later with good light.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Youssef Âaziz 

Joined in April 2016
Posted 4 June 2016 - 15:31 CET

Hi dears !

Your discussion is interesting !

Btw, Ricardo, RAM (Royal Air Maroc) flies tree times to GRU (& GIG) per week with 763ER, two of which arrive at about 5 a.m., may be earlier. It may be interesting for you ^-^

Greetings ^^

Âaziz

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 4 June 2016 - 18:34 CET

Hi Âaziz,

I've picturied a RAM 767 at GRU only once, on April 05, 2016, but I think the image is not good to go (the attached file is just a scratch)! Maybe later this year or in JAN/FEB next year I catch it again in better conditions.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Attached photos:

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1293 (25 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.