Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Site-related » Photo theft

Photo theft

Karol Trojanowski 

Senior admin
Joined in June 2016
Posted 26 February 2017 - 17:02 CET

Hi guys.

This morning my photo of Antonov An-124 Volga-Dnepr Airlines from Warsaw was published on this site. And few hours later, I found that photo (not an AP.net site which is linked by me above in the previous line) on Facebook. It is the third or fourth time I experienced this unpleasant situation, when one of my photos published here, is downloaded by someone and published on Facebook without my acceptance. You know, the problem is that here at this gallery we have probably the best aviation photos on the Internet (or the most outstanding photos), but it takes almost no effort to stole them.

Let me show you what it has to be done to stole a photo from our gallery.

1. Enter a site with photo.

2. Click the mouse's right button on the photo

3. Click option "save a photo"

4. Choose a place on your HDD, where a photo is going to be saved

And that's all. It takes less than 10 seconds to do it. Don't get me wrong, but on some other galleries this problem is solved. For example, in Polish gallery lotnictwo.net.pl when you click the right button on the photo, nothing happens. And if you want to download a photo from that site, you have to look for a direct link in HTML code, what is not so easy for ordinary people, and it takes also more time.

I know, that we have watermarks on our photos here, nevertheless I want to ask admins if something can be done to complicate downloading photos from this gallery.

Thanks for answering!

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:47 CET

Hi Karol,

The right click menu was disabled. Have you reported the stolen photos to FB with regard to the violated copyright?

Martin

Gregory Martin 
Joined in September 2013
Posted 27 February 2017 - 13:50 CET

Dear Martin, disabling the right click menu only works if you do it on the picture. if you right click on the page somewhere, you can go into the inspector of your browser get the link to that specific image in the HTML which isn't very hard and save the image in question.

Best Regards

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 27 February 2017 - 13:56 CET

Unfortunately no matter what precautions we put in place people will always find a way around them. Disabling the right click will only deter a casual browser, if someone is determined to get an image they will.

Thomas Ranner 

Joined in September 2014
Posted 27 February 2017 - 17:16 CET

Just doing a screenshot and cropping it is enough, especially for facebook. And it's not possible to disable this...

Karol Trojanowski 

Senior admin
Joined in June 2016
Posted 27 February 2017 - 18:25 CET

thanks Martin, and no, I didn't report the stolen photos to Fb, because my experience in such cases is that Fb crew generally doesn't care about violated copyright. Every single time I see my photo on various fanpages on Fb, I write a short comment below containing thanks for showing my photo, a request of sharing direct link to gallery in the future, and - of course - I attach direct link.

And generally speaking, if somebody want to stole photo, he will find a way, as Michael wrote. But I think disabling right click menu on photos will discourage most of potential thieves.

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:06 CET

Did they remove your copyright/name from the photo and published it?

Andrea Balbin 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 2 March 2017 - 21:07 CET

Karol, I had the same issue with one image which was stole from Fb page and than it has been published on the personal page of one user without the permission or without any request to use it.

Personally I found a guide to report the fact to Fb it was removed once Fb has analyzed the case.

www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=208282075858952

It worked for me and it is really fast and easy.

PeterE 

Joined in May 2017
Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:59 CET

right click can be disabled but nothing stops screen capture like snipit or a simple Alt-prntscn.

This is a net wide photography problem that we have to accept. The only option is to only up load images at sizes below what people might steal. resolution below good print quality.

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:58 CET

I had some similar experiences recently with Facebook, you have to fulfill a form with your data and point out the link to your original photograph and the link to the non authorized version of it. Facebook worked fine for me since they quickly removed the picture from the pirate website.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1498 (22 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.