Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Photo wanted by aviation company

Photo wanted by aviation company

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:17 CET

I've been approached by a well known aviation headset company (initials DC) who want to use one of my photos (Santa de-icing an aircraft at Bangor, Maine) for some minor advertising. They say that they have no advertising funds to pay for it and have other photos they can use. I am reluctant to let them have it for free. Any ideas or opinions on a way forward would be very much appreciated.

SB

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:04 CET

If they have no advertising funds then they shouldn't advertise. I wouldn't give it to them if it were me. They can't give you money for it but will reap the benefit from using it - I don't think so. Just my personal opinion :)

Jahnel Klaus 
Joined in October 2010
Posted 16 November 2011 - 14:14 CET

Dont give any of your pics for advertising for free.

The budget can t be so small, that they could not afford it.

Darryl Morrell 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 16 November 2011 - 16:15 CET

A company will always try and get a photo for nothing, as Michael said if they have no money they shouldn't advertise. My opinion is if they are a reputable company and are well known then they will have the money to pay the minor fee for a photo but as I said a lot try it on and try to get it for nothing. I wouldn't believe the line about them having lots of other photos because they obviously like and want yours otherwise they would use the others first, I say call their bluff a little , say a price take it or leave it, then ask also for credits on any advertising.

Darryl

This post has been edited by Darryl Morrell on 16th November 2011 - 16:18

Javier González 

Joined in August 2009
Posted 16 November 2011 - 19:59 CET

IMHO if asked for commercial use : never release a photo for free !!! Nobody offers cameras, cars, goods for free. Just my opinion.

Javier

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 16 November 2011 - 21:39 CET

It's the David Clark headphone company- my headset cost £250 from them a few years ago... They say that they are a small company with limited advertising budgets... They have set their flyer up already with the image and just need a nod from me to send it out to clients, but any request higher up the chain for funds would be denied...

SkyDave 
Joined in December 2007
Posted 16 November 2011 - 22:00 CET

Concur, do u not need a new headset?

Ronald J Stella 
Joined in February 2011
Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:47 CET

When I first started I gave a few photos away for free and they agreed to put photo credit. Then I read someone's point about that they do it for a living, and people that give away free photos can potentially take away from how someone earns a living. So now I rarely ever give freebies.

Also, asking for credit is not a form of payment. You already have credit, it is your photo.

David Clark is not a small company and there headsets are EXPENSIVE. They don't need a freebie!

Javier González 

Joined in August 2009
Posted 19 November 2011 - 14:00 CET

Agree 100% with Ronald ,-)

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:58 CET

This is the image they want:

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image70983.html

They are now asking if I have a model release form from him. Is that a show-stopper?

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 22 November 2011 - 13:06 CET

I'm afraid it is (I think). To the best of my knowledge if an image is to be used in a commercial or advertising environment then a model release is needed from everyone that is identifiable in it.

Mark J Kopczewski 

Joined in June 2010
Posted 30 November 2011 - 23:54 CET

Give them the bird. Unless you agree some sort of model release for it's specific use, if they can't pay in cash, then maybe you can agree a payment in kind (goods).

Else send them an email saying thanks, but no thanks. On the other hand, would the image give you (excuse the pun) any exposure and would it be acreddited to you, ie; image courtesy of . . . . ?

Two ways of looking at it. If you did let them us it, can it be watermarked and/or a low-res small size copy?

Happy hunting!

Mark

Jaroslaw Weksej 

Joined in November 2010
Posted 3 December 2011 - 21:04 CET

Are you sure they are the real DC and not someone just claiming to be DC? I can't believe that the leading headset producer cannot afford a single photo...

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 4 December 2011 - 20:47 CET

Yes, they are the real company. They eventually agreed to give me any headset from their range, so a result there. Unfortunately, as I do not have a model release form, the deal cannot be done. A shame really...

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 4 December 2011 - 23:05 CET

Real shame, given that you were getting something from them.

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 5 December 2011 - 21:39 CET

The image was taken in Bangor several years ago through the aircraft window. I never thought that it would be a commercial photo, and he's too busy this time of year to be tracked down....

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback.

SB

Jan Czonstke 

Joined in July 2011
Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:24 CET

It seems to be a very common problem now. I was asked from a company which produces and operates simulation-sytems for flight-training.

The deal was canceled because in germany as a privat non-professional person I´m unable to send them an invoice with tax! How stupid, we were not talking about a few thousand euro!

The second time was an aircraft producer who wants to use my picture for their comercial flyer and other things!

But after they told me that they never pay for pictures I canceled this!

It is a shame!

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:55 CET

If it is a candid photo, taken in a paparazzi type opportunistic way, do I actually need a model release form? He didn't pose for it.

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:37 CET

If the person in the picture is recognisible then yes a model release is required for the image to be used commercially. Having said that it's not up to you to get the release. If the company buy the image of you it it up to them to get the release before they can use it.

If you image was to be used editorially i.e. to illustrate a news item then a release isn't required.

The above is my understanding of it, I may be wrong and others may correct me :)

Ander Aguirre 

Joined in December 2011
Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:41 CET

Michael, your post is not entirely correct.

As far as I know, the photog is the person responsible for providing a model release.

I have recently started uploading photos to some stock agencies and a model release is always mandatory if a person or a part of one (e.g. a hand, shoulder, etc) is visible in the photo. Agencies and companies need photos for free usage and I'd never expect them to get a model relase from a person they could posssible never get in contact with.

For editorial usage this is right, as long as it is a newsworthy photo.

Ander

A happy new year to all of you!!

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:44 CET

Hi Ander,

Quote Dan Heller:

People's natural assumption is that the photographer is ultimately responsible, yet, it may surprise you to know that the photographer isn't ultimately culpable. It's the publisher of an image that carries all the liability. Yes, whoever it is that puts the image into use needs to have the photo release because, as its name implies, a model release "releases the user of liability." Who is the user? The publisher.

Dan Heller

This post has been edited by Martin Krupka on 25th December 2011 - 11:18

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1387 (14 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.