Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Site-related » 3x1 Ratio?

3x1 Ratio?

Kas van Zonneveld 

Joined in December 2011
Posted 8 February 2012 - 23:38 CET

Hi all,

I have an in my opinion interesting shot on my drive, which I'd like to submit here for screening. The problem is, it's more like a panorama (couldn't be done any other way).

This limits the ability to make it a normal aspect ratio and when I try to upload it (I've tried a 3:1 crop), I get the error message about the aspect ratio. Would there be any way to give it atleast a try?

Cheers,

Kas

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 9 February 2012 - 00:15 CET

I've got some possible 'panorama'-like shots that I'd like to submit too, any chance of doing so?

PZL.38 Wilk 

Joined in January 2010
Posted 9 February 2012 - 09:33 CET

"panorama"- like - I like the idea, At least you should allowed upload pics with aspect ratio 16:9 which fit perfectly HD monitors and TV's, and looks better without black borders on the sides.

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 9 February 2012 - 09:35 CET

Good question indeed......Martin explained me last week why it´s not accepted, and it made perfect sense. There are some shots however, which didn´t make the upload due to the wrong ratio size (i´m a huge fan of 16:9), i have tried them 2:3, but it was too ugly to post :-(. two examples of shots.....i have to say by the way, the Alpha jet was doable in 2:3 and it made to AP, but in 16:9 it´s got a stronger performance to my personal opinion..

Attached photos:

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 9 February 2012 - 09:35 CET

wasn´t able to attach the other image in the same post, so here it is....

Attached photos:

PZL.38 Wilk 

Joined in January 2010
Posted 9 February 2012 - 09:44 CET

yah! - both pics proof my point - 16:9 ROCKS !!! - thanks Menno

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 9 February 2012 - 09:46 CET

Another 16:9 fan, great! hopefully in the future Wilk! it´s becoming more and more common, since screens are up to 16:9 standard ratio nowadays, and even magazines etc. are beginning to see the point.

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 9 February 2012 - 09:48 CET

Not to mention that specificly the objects we photograph here (planes that is) do come out best in 16:9 due to the wide and spread out character of the objects (fuselage, wings, etc.)

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 9 February 2012 - 20:32 CET

Hi,

The only reason for not allowing the wider photo format is that it would destroy the site layout. Personally, I also think that 16:9 would not be enough anyway.

Menno, this one is quite good as well ;-)

Kas van Zonneveld 

Joined in December 2011
Posted 9 February 2012 - 20:45 CET

The reason I asked was because I found this shot in my archives yesterday:

This post has been edited by Kas van Zonneveld on 9th February 2012 - 20:46

Attached photos:

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 9 February 2012 - 21:04 CET

There could be a niche market here for pano shots Martin. I would agree that it would destroy the page format but what about creating a special section for special crops?

We make a special case for Glamour, which no one else does so why not panos?

I uploaded a pano in the early days but it was made very clear (and quite rightly so) that this was not to be repeated. I have been experimenting with a 2:1 crop for my own Flickr stuff and find it a pleasing format, better composition, less boring foreground and better skies.

Personally I would love to do more panos but there is next to no justification for doing so.

What I really love to do is get my hands on a Gigapan, now that really is creative photography but definitely not for AP :)

http://gigapan.org/gigapans/6130

Another reason to justify our Creative Aviation Photography by-line.

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 9 February 2012 - 21:06 CET

I know Martin i know, but personally i like the 16:9 better then the 2:3 ;-) Is it not possible at all by the way, to make some changes on the sites lay out, so it´s possible to upload 16:9 without destroying it? or is it simply not possible?

Nice shot by the way Kas....

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:31 CET

The problem is when you mix the 4:3 and 3:2 thumbnails with something else, the page becomes irregular and visually a bit of a mess. That's why I suggested a separate page for different aspect ratios to keep them from spoiling the look of the latest Images page. Even then different aspect ratios would make for a messy looking page.

At the end of the day one has to make a convincing argument to show that adopting different aspect ratios is a worthwhile proposition as it is I would expect Martin would have to redesign the web site to accommodate another page and maybe too much work for a small return.

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:01 CET

Makes a lot of sense there Wallace! Like you said, it would be nice when AP again is first in row by doing this, but after all it should be worth the trouble, and a "return on investment". If that's not the case, better leave it............What i think is an interesting discussion here, is why it hasn't become a standard yet.......looking at all the 16:9 standard in screens nowadays........also used for commercial and advertising matters. Webshops for instance......

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:18 CET

One possibly compromise would be to show all thumbnails as square images regardless of aspect ratio. The thumbnails would be cropped versions of the original so you'd have to click on them to see the whole image.

Paul Nichols 
Joined in February 2008
Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:57 CET

Michael, cropping thumbnails to a standard size regardless of the aspect ratio of the original will just make the page look like it was coded by a 5 year old. Sorry to be so blunt but it really will, it will look absolutely horrendous. The whole point of the thumbnail is for it to look interesting enough to grab people's attention and make them want to click on the image to view it properly, if all you see is an unbalanced mess (which is exactly how many images would look) it's hardly going to make you want to open them. Again, sorry to put it so bluntly but I really, really, really don't think that should even be considered as an option.

I'm a huge fan of 16:9 and I'm sure with a little thought a way can be found of making it work.

This post has been edited by Paul Nichols on 11th February 2012 - 02:00

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1638 (26 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.