Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Civil aviation » Jpeg Compression

Jpeg Compression

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 3 January 2017 - 14:56 CET

Hi Guys,

Just a quick overall question on battling Jpeg compression. The photo attached is from a misty day, this is why I wanted to take photos from this angle to get the misty sky. However the misty sky has Jpeg compression, how can I combat this? Would a higher quality camera work or is it simply the conditions of the photo.

Thanks

Andrew

Attached photos:

DUB_Spotter 

Joined in July 2016
Posted 3 January 2017 - 15:22 CET

Here i see problem with colors. :) Is my opinion.

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 3 January 2017 - 15:39 CET

The colours are not showing in the image I have posted for some reason, maybe due to downloading the image and not sourcing straight from my hard drive as I am away from my laptop.

DUB_Spotter 

Joined in July 2016
Posted 3 January 2017 - 15:49 CET

In this picture is dessaturate. Recive reject for bad color in my opinion.

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 3 January 2017 - 15:57 CET

Not sure you are understanding me, dont worry!

Phillip L. 

Joined in January 2016
Posted 3 January 2017 - 19:27 CET

Hello!

I think ist due to the hazy sky and youre sharpening process! Maybe try to blur the areas, that have jpg compression. And as Catalin81 already said, the Image has low Saturation (almost no Colors).

I Added a Image how about the Colors should look, please ingore all the mess in the sky ;)

Attached photos:

Igor Kmet 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 3 January 2017 - 19:43 CET

Realy the sky is abased by jpeg compresion. If you choose in Photoshop Image,Adjustement, Equalize it is demonstrated without doubts.

How to avoid it ? Imho shooting in RAW, postprocessing TIFF , resizing with bicubic ( best for smooth gradients ) function and saving for web with max quality should help , minimaly is jpeg compresion under better contol than whe shooting directly ( in camera) to jpeg.

Generaly speaking jpeg compresion is always giving minimal volume of data to monotone areas and thats why is sky ( or other monotone areas) " pixelized" in extreme conditions.

Phillip L. 

Joined in January 2016
Posted 3 January 2017 - 20:15 CET

Interesting...

Thanks Igor!

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 4 January 2017 - 08:55 CET

Thank you Igor!

I have already done all of these so I will take it that it is just the misty skies adding to this.

Matt Reynolds 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 4 January 2017 - 19:21 CET

Sometimes it just cant be helped and there is nothing you can do. I have similar shots that I just cant do anything with...move on to the next image and scrap this one ;)

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 5 January 2017 - 08:50 CET

Great advice Matt, thank you!

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1278 (32 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.