Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Kit lenses

Kit lenses

mikegri
Joined in March 2017
Posted 29 March 2017 - 23:57 CET

Hello, I´m considering upgrading from my beloved Fujifilm HS50 bridge camera to an entry level DSLR like Nikon D3200/5200 Canon T4/5i. This equipment is VERY expensive for me, and right now I´m very happy with the versatility, size, hand feel of the HS50, but unfortunately as you can imagine, I can´t post here which is what I wanted to do from the beginning.

So having a budget of 700-800$, I could find a used body with a nikon 70-300 VR or Canon 70-300 IS and maybe a Nikon 35mm F1.8G or Canon 50mm F1.8 to cover the short range in the future. For what I have seen, kit lenses are just not good enough (slow focus, not sharp above 250mm, not fast, etc)

My questions are,

1.) Are kit lenses really not worth it with today's standards on this website?

2.) Does the 70-300 VR o IS (around 450 $ used) have enough quality to get a good acceptance rate not only with best lighting conditions¿

I mean the upgrade is only good for me if that means quality is going to be good for posting, otherwise I will just keep enjoying and learning with my bridge until I can afford those expensive good telephoto lenses like Canon L line.. but there is no point spending 700 $ on camera and cheap lenses to post on imstagram

peebee
Joined in March 2016
Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:04 CET

Have you thought of submitting one or two photos. If they were to be rejected then read if the editors consider it to be a camera problem.

Choose your subject with care, try taxiing or any other where the aircraft is moving slowly, rather than takeoff or landing photos.

I would advise to shoot in RAW to get the best out of the camera and look at tutorials online to help with post-processing.

Have fun.

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:13 CET

Hi Mike,

you don't need expensive equipment to take photos, and if it is your desire to get them published here. You just need to know the limitations of the equipment and possibly your editing workflow. We have accepted images from compact cameras, bridge cameras and even phones.

mikegri
Joined in March 2017
Posted 4 April 2017 - 01:10 CET

Thank you everyone.

I´ll keep learning with my fuji for now until I save a bit for upgrade. Then I think the D5100 with a 55-300 lens would be good to start.

Jon Ekman 

Joined in November 2014
Posted 4 April 2017 - 14:34 CET

As a cheap starter camera kit, I would recommend the Nikon D3300/3400 and the Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 VC USD lens. It's not that expensive and the price to quality ratio is excellent.

You should be able to get just fine images with that kit, if you don't, you are doing something wrong.

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 5 April 2017 - 15:22 CET

I may have a different opinion based on my own trajectory. It is related to what I think about it nowadays, not to what I have done in the past. I will explain it better.

During my trajectory as an aviation enthusiast and amateur photographer, I have climbed gradually regarding to my photo gear. I started with a Sony H5 Cybershot (it did a good job!), the year was around 2006. Then I changed to Sony Cybershot H50, a very bad move that I deeply regret. Later came the Canon T2i (550d), then the 70d (in 2013) and finally the 7d Mark II. There was also some upgrade with Canon lenses.

So when I take a look at my older pictures, all taken with less expensive equipment that, at that time were the unique ones to fit in my budget, they do not fill up the requirements to make a good edition for today’s standards. Of course, it also may have relation with my photo techniques at that time, but I digress.

Maybe I also should have cut the T2i (550d), who knows, although I consider the T5i (750d) as a good entrance camera.

Therefore, what I am trying to say is, if you can hold a bit more, wait until you have saved enough money to purchase the best gear you think you deserve and which will full fill all your expectations.

Best regards!

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1575 (38 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.