Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Airports & photo locations » Spotting places Vancouver YVR

Spotting places Vancouver YVR

LarsvZ 

Joined in March 2016
Posted 18 June 2017 - 17:03 CET

Hi there,

This summer I will be going to Vancouver Airport, BC, Canada. We are going on holiday in Vancouver. Of course I would like to do some spotting around the airport. I have found some links, but the amount of example pictures is scars. Could someone help me out?

Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers,

Lars

Jetzguy 

Joined in July 2016
Posted 18 June 2017 - 19:26 CET

Lars,

It depends on what type of aircraft you want to shoot and what type of flying. Most landings are on the right hand runways coming from the city to the water due to the prevailing winds. You can set up under the approach path near the Canada Line Skytrain station and get very close to the aircraft. It is a bit hard to get non-"skyshot" photos there unless you have a good lens and can set up further back. Then the coast mountains make for a great background to your shots.

If you like to shoot smaller stuff go to the South Terminal parking area. There is a viewing/spotters tower built there where you can shoot all the smaller stuff like helicopters, turboprops, business jets etc. Just at the entrance to the South Terminal is the Fraser River seaplane base with near constant activity during the summer. You have no obstructions to the shooting area and there is a great place to eat right on the water called the Flying Beaver after the float plane. You can also shoot most takeoffs from the spotters area but you will need more than a 200mm lens. 300-400 would be better.

Attached photos:

Jetzguy 

Joined in July 2016
Posted 18 June 2017 - 19:28 CET

http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/community/public-observation-area this is an inside viewing area but you may have to shoot through glass. I have never been there.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

LarsvZ 

Joined in March 2016
Posted 18 June 2017 - 20:35 CET

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the explanations! Really helped me out :)

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1324 (17 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.