Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Wanting something for nothing

Wanting something for nothing

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 2 July 2012 - 15:27 CET

In the last month, I have had over 40 people/ groups contact me asking for one or several of my images. Once I have e-mailed them back, thanking them for making contact and telling them that they will have to pay for them, I either never hear from them again, or get an e-mail back saying that they won't pay and want it for free. I am getting a bit fed up of it now. Is anyone else finding that they are getting more requests than before from people wanting free images? Is that what people expect in this digital age? As the Waddington airshow at the weekend, I had £14000 of kit with me - it's got to be paid for out of more than the goodnesss of my heart!

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 2 July 2012 - 19:45 CET

I could not agree more with you, sunshine band.

I have been getting some requests for screen saver, desktop background, personal use and things of the sort and everyone wants for free. And we are never sure if this is really for personal use. To make my photos I have spent about 25000 USD just on equipment alone, not considering travel expenses, equipment insurance, the time to edit and capture the photos and all... I answer with the link with the suggested prices. http://www.airplane-pictures.net/licensing-guide.php

For now, I don't charge for a photo of mine to be used on a magazine (only happened twice so far) because I consider it as portfolio. However, I do require a printed copy of the magazine to be mailed to me.

Also sometimes I receive comments to my photos in form of request. There should be a warning saying that button is for requesting the use of a photo and my ultimate suggestion is that the rules and price list be stated in the contact form itself. This way it will be all cleared before an image is requested.

One last thing: Great Photographs should cost above the suggested price and that should be said also.

This post has been edited by Renato Serra Fonseca on 2nd July 2012 - 19:47

Marseno Bremer 
Joined in April 2011
Posted 3 July 2012 - 04:45 CET

That is true. I couldn't agree with you more. I have gotten several emails from persons and from the moment you say pay, they back away.

I think some people assume that photography, in this case, is just you pick up yourself, go to the airport, take a bunch of pictures and give them away. A lot of people do not realize it's a lot more than that. It takes a lot to get out the house and stand in the hot sun, freezing cold or rain to take some shots and then turn around and give them out for free.

But good to know I'm not the only one!!

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1266 (21 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.