Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Newspaper website used my photo without asking

Newspaper website used my photo without asking

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 3 July 2012 - 20:22 CET

Hello everyone,

My regional newspaper website has used my image of the Gnat tailstrike at RAF Waddington on their website without asking me. They must have screen-grabbed it from somewhere and added it to their new story page... Your opinions on a way forward for me please?

Jeffrey Schäfer 

Joined in November 2009
Posted 4 July 2012 - 13:00 CET

Is there an postal adress? Send them the bill with 200% of the normal costs :) If you copyrighted it they know what they're doing.

Andras Brandligt

Joined in March 2012
Posted 4 July 2012 - 13:07 CET

Send them a letter stating they used one of your images without your permission and what they think is a fair compensation for violating a copyright.

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 4 July 2012 - 15:25 CET

I have stated on my profile on every site what I would do in case something like this happens and some of the brazilians have done the same. If everyone does, then it would become a standart procedure. Remember that in some cases the photo was stolen half way across the world and there are expenses to take legal action.

You can see the "contract" here: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/member-profile.php?p=6277

Cheers!

Renato

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 4 July 2012 - 15:27 CET

Forgot to say: In your case, I beleive it was Copyright theft because, as I understood, no credits were given.

If credits were given, then I would consider Unauthorized Use.

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 4 July 2012 - 15:50 CET

Thankyou everyone for your feedback. Here is a link to the story in question:

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Gnat-aircraft-suffers-heavy-landing-RAF/story-16470739-detail/story.html

They did credit my photography company underneath, but did not contact me prior to publication to authorise usage. So, by the sound if it (thanks Renato!) it comes under Unauthorised Use. I have since been informed that it has been used in various websites and a National newspaper...

If anyone else sees it crop up anywhere as a news story, please let me know...

TVM!

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 4 July 2012 - 15:58 CET

In that case, hire a Lawyer and do what you must do. No wonder if some of the newspapers even charged money to give out the photo to other newspapers or whatever. When you get the settlement, come photograph with us in Sunny Rio de Janeiro.

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 4 July 2012 - 16:54 CET

I've just had a phonecall from the website manager. Seemingly, they don't have to pay for it as they "found it on Twitter", but are taking the image off their story...

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 4 July 2012 - 17:42 CET

In that case steal one of their stories because you found it included with your chips.

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 4 July 2012 - 18:01 CET

I don't know Sunshine Band, this seems a little messed up to me.

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 19 July 2012 - 16:36 CET

Hello all, Just a quick update incase anyone was wondering how it was going. I received a cheque today from the newspaper for £50... Not really as much as I was hoping for...

Andras Brandligt

Joined in March 2012
Posted 19 July 2012 - 21:01 CET

Thats good news, remember there are millions that probably don't get any money for their images.. SO it's a push in the right direction.. :)

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:20 CET

50 pounds is better than nothing, but it is indeed low for such a great image.

Now do the same with the other papers and make some more cash. =D

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1217 (31 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.