Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Wavy banding in the sky

Wavy banding in the sky

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 25 July 2019 - 13:38 CET

A few images I have uploaded have been rejected due to wavy banding in the sky.

Seems to be an excuse for uploading a photo on a cloudy ish day to me?

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/rejected-images/2019-7/1217534.jpg

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? It seems pointless to bin off a decent photo for the slightest bit of 'banding', just my opinion of-course.

Andrew

Attached photos:

Dennis Janssen 

Joined in December 2013
Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:12 CET

Well, I can see the banding in the sky as well. Try to check it before you upload the image, cause the screeners will use the equalize filter while screening the images.

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 26 July 2019 - 17:49 CET

What do you mean by banding though? What creates it? Is it just the cloud formation that is not acceptable.

Ken Rose 

Joined in June 2013
Posted 27 July 2019 - 23:38 CET

When you hit the equalize filter, you'll see "banding." It looks like waves of digital noise in the sky. Sometimes it is from over processing, sometimes it is from using a cheaper lens, and sometimes I guess it just happens. I have had many shots I thought were perfect in terms of exposure, only to see the banding with very little post-processing.

It's frustrating I know but not to worry, there isn't a person on this site who hasn't had this happen.

Best,

KR

Andrew Butcher 

Joined in December 2014
Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:00 CET

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Mateusz Ancuta 
Joined in October 2013
Posted 28 July 2019 - 23:59 CET

Most of the cases will be from over processing. Your original photo will most likely have 'waves' in the sky but they will be a lot more grainy and there will be hardly any contrast between them. If you need to process the image the way you have, deselect the sky in order to avoid this. Also, most blur tools will create this effect too. Keep the strength of the settings lower for the sky or repeat reduce noise a couple of times. As others have mentioned above, always check your image with the equalize filter.

Hope that helps

eicm09 
Joined in April 2009
Posted 4 August 2019 - 21:02 CET

Would this be the same as "stepping" in the sky? had a couple rejected for that reason.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1409 (30 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.