Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Photo editing software

Photo editing software

JamieK 

Joined in October 2011
Posted 18 November 2012 - 13:43 CET

What photo editing software would people recommend?

This post has been edited by Martin Krupka on 20th July 2014 - 10:54

Adam Michalko 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:18 CET

for me Lightroom 4, but it is only on you, wich one you will choose and use...

Jeffrey Schäfer 

Joined in November 2009
Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31 CET

For me only Photoshop CS5.

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:05 CET

I use Canon's DPP for RAW conversion and Photoshop CS3 for the rest.

However I have been using a trial version of DxO Optics Pro, for RAW conversion. It is a little more difficult to use and it does involves changing my workflow (the way you go about processing an image) but the results have been interesting and I may buy the full version and use that instead of DPP

http://www.dxo.com/us/photo/dxo_optics_pro/features.

If you want to start on the Photoshop ladder then Photoshop Elements is a cheap way of doing it. Otherwise there is a free program called GIMP, which will give Photoshop a run for its money but you need to learn a slightly different workflow. I would recommend that if you have the time to learn although not so many resources out there for tutorials etc.

This post has been edited by Wallace Shackleton on 19th November 2012 - 14:09

Darryl Morrell 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:56 CET

I just use elements 11 for the raw conversion and the editing, and noise ninja and topaz for the de-noising, works well for me

Oldrich Chmel 

Joined in December 2007
Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:17 CET

I am a GIMP user (+UFRaw & G'MIC plugins).... somehow cannot justify to buy & retain (upgrades) a PS licence just for the hobby. Not sure it would make my photos any better, anyway ;-)

Marcel Kellner 
Joined in November 2011
Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:22 CET

Hello,

as a Nikon-shooter I use NIKON CAPTURE NX. I used various Lightroom-versions in the past, but as soon as I´ve found out how big the difference is - in favour of Capture NX - I´ve started to develop my RAW´s only in this program. At this moment I use Lightroom only to scale / denoise / sharpen my pictures.

rgds

Marcel

Steve Richards
Joined in December 2012
Posted 1 December 2012 - 07:41 CET

Well I'm new here ! infract this is my 1st post.

I have been a pro photographer for about 27 years and shot for most of the leading publications around the world, including national Geographic, Just had to name drop that one , But trough.

I use Photoshop CS6 , But the main RAW processing is done with Capture one, it is by far the best tool I have ever used, and has changed the way my images look. Try it!

Thanks Steve

Also you guys are turning out some very good images,

Joe Was 
Joined in June 2012
Posted 1 December 2012 - 11:09 CET

I use Magix Xtreme Photo & Graphic Designer 5. Its great but I need more so I'm going to get Adobe lightroom 4 & elements 10 soon. Then I will go & get CS6.

I'm not a pro yet but that is one of my goals.

Lvcivs 

Joined in April 2012
Posted 7 December 2012 - 04:56 CET

LR4 noise reduction and sharpening module is awesome, it can give amazing results.

If you need to go extremely further, then I recommend Nik DeNoise. I already had the opportunity to use it and the difference is jaw-dropping.

Lvcivs 

Joined in April 2012
Posted 7 December 2012 - 14:45 CET

Also, if you use windows, there's a freeware called Photoscape. It's so amazing that I managed to get around 10 photos on Airliners.net editing on it, a long time ago. It has RAW conversion and very nice image editing features.

Twan van Baaren 
Joined in September 2011
Posted 7 December 2012 - 21:44 CET

My student CS has just expired!

I was wondering if Elements 11 is a good alternative. Do any of you have experience with Elements 11?

The problem is that older CS versions can't handle .NEF files without converting them. Can anybody tell me if there is any loss of quality with converting?

Michael Carbery 

Joined in June 2008
Posted 11 December 2012 - 16:59 CET

I use DPP for culling my photos. I love the 'Quick Check' option it has for doing this. Any that I work on are then opened in CS6. For noise reduce I use Neat Images noise reduction plugin for Photoshop, excellent at what it does and reasonable priced.

Eham36l 
Joined in July 2012
Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:13 CET

Canon's DPP for RAW-conversion, jpeg-editing in CS2.

Tried several other RAW-converters, but the best results are from DPP.

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:24 CET

I have been using Lightroom 4 and it handles NEF's with no problem. I especially like the lens correction values that LR4 has. One click and every Nikkor lens is represented.

Now, I have been trying out Topaz Labs for sharpening and Noise and have been VERY pleased. That combined with just a touch of pre sharpening in LR4 and it's just about perfect.

Maurits E 

Joined in November 2012
Posted 25 December 2012 - 22:55 CET

Photoshop CS6 is an exellent tool!

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1229 (25 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.