Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Not published because of tree

Not published because of tree

Harm Swinkels 

Joined in March 2014
Posted 7 March 2014 - 18:00 CET

Hi all,

I uploaded this picture of a NATO E-3A Sentry. I tried to create a certain mood expressing the way the E-3 looks "sneaky" in my opinion. I like to call it a "spyplane". So I decided spying back on the aircraft, hence the branches visible. This was on purpose. Now I'd like to know what you think about this. Too distracting or acceptable?

Kind Regards,

Harm Swinkels

This post has been edited by Martin Krupka on 19th July 2014 - 23:26

Attached photos:

Eden Briand 

Joined in September 2012
Posted 7 March 2014 - 18:58 CET

Acceptable in my opinion :)

Very nice frame Harm, I like it !

But maybe try to crop a bit the sky so the E-3 will be well centered (it does not have to be perfectly centered, but don't let too much sky above the aircraft).

Cheers,

Eden.

Kamil Cison 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 7 March 2014 - 19:26 CET

So did you get this rejected already? It's an awesome shot in my opinion.

I'm sure no one would bother you if you were full-member... hehehe

Harm Swinkels 

Joined in March 2014
Posted 7 March 2014 - 19:28 CET

Yep, got rejected already. Two screeners looked at it, one thought the tree was distracting. The other shared your opinion, but still final decision was rejection. Regarding the centering, I thought of applying the rule of thirds, but yeah maybe just a centimeter less sky could change a lot.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Harm

Nigel Paine 
Joined in November 2008
Posted 7 March 2014 - 20:40 CET

Nice picture. Personally I think the tree does spoil it though. I would have made the tree more prominent or left it out completely ?

Harm Swinkels 

Joined in March 2014
Posted 7 March 2014 - 21:38 CET

Thanks for your opinions ;)

Cheers,

Harm

Victor Ambriz 

Joined in August 2013
Posted 7 March 2014 - 21:42 CET

it's ok, i don't know why they rejected it

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 7 March 2014 - 22:42 CET

Sorry to say but the trees are very distracting in my eyes, even though the idea is nice and the plane itself is very nicely portrayed.

I understand your 'story' about the trees (though the E-3 is not used for spying btw), but I think that when a picture requires a story to understand, its not a strong photo to begin with since a photo should speak for itself.

Just my two cents :)

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 8 March 2014 - 08:22 CET

Kamil, your comment was a little unjustified, if you only knew the half of it. If you or anyone else finds an image by a FM to be substandard then send a message to the senior admins via the team address below.

Harm, while I understand your motive, I too would have rejected it, the trees are too distracting in that they do not form a strong enough element to enforce your "spyplane" composition. the branch coming out of the top of the raydome is too much of a distraction.

I would urge anyone to look at this image or any other, (screeners included) for more than 10 seconds, at least 30 seconds or more, before making an opinion on any image, there's far too much knee-jerk opinions that all to often miss obvious faults with images and in the end it does your own personal photography no good at all.

Perhaps you could work on this theme when the trees come into leaf or even blossom, should you be so lucky. You were obviously attracted by something in the scene, so it's worth working the shot to see if you can improve the composition.

Composition wise, it divides neatly into thirds, with the aircraft along the bottom third and the tree line along the top. The trees seem to off set the sky to the left. Perhaps the white balance could have been tweaked to warm the scene up a little, but that's a personal choice.

Lastly the bird at the left hand side serves little or no purpose and could have been cloned out.

I hope that was useful.

Harm Swinkels 

Joined in March 2014
Posted 8 March 2014 - 09:45 CET

Thanks again for your thought's. I am a beginning photographer and the feedback is really helpful.

@Christiaan I know the E-3 is actually not for spying ;)

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Enjoy your weekends.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1565 (42 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.