Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Site-related » Back to old layout

Back to old layout

Marcel Kellner 
Joined in November 2011
Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:37 CET

Hello,

I like the new design...!

Wich is little surprising, because, usually, I don´t like changes.

I don´t miss the informations about the location, views etc - I can concentrate on the pictures - they´re bigger now and that is more important, than the "missing" informations.

Best regards

Marcel

Michał Wallo 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:41 CET

Exactly, I am definitely of the same opinion here. Missing the information below the photo for sure. Let us see what other members think of the idea of reverting back to the good old layout! :)

Hendrik Versteeg 
Joined in June 2014
Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:23 CET

I don't like this layout as it is right now. To me the location is more important than the operator of the aircraft. So, it would be OK if you would swap the operator info for location.

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 20 October 2014 - 13:11 CET

I have to say that I don't like the new lay out either.

I miss the information that was underneath the picture. Knowing what I was looking at and where it was taken is as important as the picture. Now everything is squashed together with no information and no idea how many views it has had. And let's be honest, the amount of views is also an indicator as to how the picture is liked.

I fear that photographers will see their viewings and ratings go down because the large image size as it is now does not make it necessary to view the full size. In the old format with the small size image part of the pleasure was to click on the image and then see the full size. That meant the photographer got a view and maybe a 'like'.

Martin and The Team, thanks for a great website, but please don't start fiddling with cosmetics for what seems to be no apparent reason. You know the old saying, if it is not broken don't fix it.

Best regards to all.

Arkady Perevoznikov 

Joined in June 2014
Posted 20 October 2014 - 14:38 CET

I fully agree with Marius Bekker (If this is important, of course).

Best regards,

Arkady.

Kelyn Y. 

Joined in May 2014
Posted 20 October 2014 - 16:14 CET

I like the new layout but it would be perfect if you could see the location&views. Maybe you could make some space free in the right corner or something..? Thanks:)

Best regards,

Kelyn

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 20 October 2014 - 19:15 CET

Marius Bekker choose exactly the words as how I feel about the change.

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 20 October 2014 - 19:17 CET

Aleksi, I do not like the way you comment. If you feel this page goes from bad to worse then I have one simple advise, stay away from it!

Dave Henderson 
Joined in March 2009
Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:18 CET

I admittedly quite like the new layout of the photographers page, it makes it easier to browse through images. If I want to know the location of an image, I can just open the image and see the details.

I browse this site to look at great aviation images, regardless of their location so that info isn't too essential for me.

Darryl Morrell 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:24 CET

the site is getting very slow to load aswell

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:25 CET

Thanks to all for your interesting feedback.

Let me explain the background. There are several reasons for the change. AP hosts the best aviation photos on the internet. The variety is much richer compared to Airliners and Jetphotos, which publish sky shot after sky shot. The new layout replacing the tiny thumbnails was introduced to better present the variety of stunning photos.

The change also brings more attention to the photographer rather than to the airports, aircraft types or registrations. The visitors are now more likely to visit your profile page and view the rest of your portfolio.

The new layout looks much better in mobile devices. I don't know if you browsed the old AP design in your mobile, but the mass of tiny links and thumbnails did not perform very well.

It is too early to make any conlusions on the performance of the new design, but the current data do not show any decline in number of pageviews.

"if it is not broken don't fix it." If we acted according to these wise words we would have stuck with the 2007 design which worked quite well (for that time). The change is inevitable.

AP is about photography, your great photography. We try to focus on it as much as we can.

This post has been edited by Martin Krupka on 20th October 2014 - 20:27

Darryl Morrell 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:33 CET

Martin,

the new layout looks fine in my opinion, but the whole site is getting slower to load.

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:41 CET

Thanks Darryl, it is the larger thumbnails (and more of them on the page). I optimized the code and we started to use the content delivery network so the photos are delivered faster (particularly outside Europe). I will still look for improvements.

mitchel kuppens 
Joined in July 2013
Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:58 CET

I pretty like the new layout. It looks more professional in my eyes.

Good job Martin!

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:32 CET

Very nice layout, adds to the creativity-factor that AP.net intends to show.

Kamil Cison 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:57 CET

Well, I love it.

Maurits E 

Joined in November 2012
Posted 21 October 2014 - 13:57 CET

Hey,

Well, I could get used to this layout.

The only thing I would criticize is, that the "Fife-pictures-box" is now at the bottom of the page.

I would please you to move it back between picture and the info box. That makes it lot easier to browse through the pictures.

Thanks and many greetings

Peter van Stelle 

Joined in July 2009
Posted 24 October 2014 - 16:31 CET

I am with Marius Bekker here. I don't like the new layout as I am missing the information of the photos underneath. I am also missing the option in the topmenu to select photos per airport, photographer or airline etc. It seems to have gone... My 2 cents.

Brgds, Peter

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 24 October 2014 - 16:34 CET

For the 2nd point (filter), you also have the option to use the "advanced search" button which gives you the choice to filter by airport/photographer etc ...

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 24 October 2014 - 17:34 CET

I have further noticed that it is not possible to access and to see your Profile Page without logging on. Once you have logged on you need to go to the ‘Active Members’ page and click on your name to access your Profile Page. Why this inconvenience?

The negative effect of not being able to access your Profile Page without logging on is that neither can a visitor and non-member (possibly a client) get an idea of who you are, what Airshows / News Events you have covered and what Photo Albums you have to look at. It means that possible sales / new business opportunities in respect of photo sales is severely diminished. Judging by the amount of members that actively promote sales of their photos in their Profile Page, this was an important facility.

Why was that dropdown menu by which you could access airport, aircraft type etc removed? What benefit did the site gain by its removal?

For some this facility (Profile Page without the need to log on) may be unimportant, but for others, like me, that have had that benefit it was important. The old layout with 20 pictures per page and all relevant information underneath the picture was a very useful marketing tool - sadly that is no more.

BebaHC
Joined in January 2014
Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:48 CET

Why is not possible to select photos by Category anymore?

I like the new layout by the way.

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:59 CET

Evening all,

The photographer.php page is a successor for the member-profile.php page. It contains all the information except for the albums, airshows and news to be less cluttered. Both the old as well as the new page can be accessed without the need to log in.

The Browse by ... pages will be returned to the menu.

We finally have some traffic data we can use to tune the new layout. The data show the current layout is a success, however, the information on the airport, operator and registration will be added as they are missed.

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:12 CET

Evening Martin

You say:-

"Both the old as well as the new page can be accessed without the need to log in". Please elaborate, are you saying the Profile Page is no longer viewable? I can't find them.

Browse by pages to be returned - wonderful, thank you!

How about also returning the amount of views a picture has received? Please!

Martin Krupka 

Founder
Joined in July 2006
Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:29 CET

When you visit member-profile.php you are redirected to photographer.php so you are right you cannot view it. The member-profile.php page, which is now a history, had always been available to all users without the need to log in.

The amount of views is not necessary information and sometimes can be misleading. You may have noticed that the number of views to your photos is now present on the My photos page.

Marius Bekker 

Joined in February 2012
Posted 26 October 2014 - 21:12 CET

Well firstly, in the main, this is very good news:-

- Browse by pages to be returned

- Amount of views for own pictures now viewable under My photos page

Thank you for returning those items, facilities and statistics.

Secondly, the now gone Profile Page is a pity. It provided interesting information as regards a member's activities (News, Airshows etc) to what was visited and noted by him / her during any given year. It was a valuable tool by which one could show prospective clients the what, when and where of your portfolio, all nicely together without having to go through all your pictures.

However, important features have been returned and reinstated and for that I am very grateful.

Christoph Plank 

Joined in August 2013
Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:24 CET

Hello :-)

The new layout is nice at all categories, but can you make the old Profil layout please

It's a pity that it's gone but a lot Info and Foto Albums are gone

Thanks in advance

regards

Christoph

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1569 (37 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.