Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Banding

Banding

Jelle 

Joined in May 2013
Posted 15 December 2014 - 21:00 CET

Hi,

I got some of my pictures rejected due to banding in the sky.

Is there a way get rid of this?

Thanks in advance,

Jelle

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 16 December 2014 - 21:44 CET

Have you tried adding some noise ?

http://mrare.ca/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-gradient-banding-in-photoshop

The main issue is to find a correct balance between banding and noise of course but I think this is worth a try.

Michael Brazier 

Joined in April 2013
Posted 18 December 2014 - 18:47 CET

Banding usually occurs when contrast is added to an evenly-gradated area of smooth tone, such as a sunset sky. It is best avoided by shooting in RAW, as there is little you can do to remove it once it has appeared in your edited image. Shooting in RAW enables you to keep the original un-processed image so that if your edit throws up problems such as banding, you can return to the original and do a replacement edit.

One cure if the banding isn't severe is to Edit>Convert to Profile and select an sRGB profile such as sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

If you'd like to send me the full-size image (michael.brazier@hotmail.co.uk), I'll see whether I can sort it for you.

Regards,

Michael

Jens Nannen 

Joined in May 2014
Posted 18 December 2014 - 22:45 CET

Jelle, can you post a shot where this happened to be the reject reason? I'm not sure what "banding" means... thx and groetjes :)

Jelle 

Joined in May 2013
Posted 18 December 2014 - 23:56 CET

Thanks for all the reactions!

Murmeldeier I tried that method several times but it didn;t help...

I am always shooting in RAW. The strange thing to me is that I didn't have this problem until a few weeks ago... But Thanks for the tip and I'll sent you an email :).

In this one the banding is clearly visible, that's why I didn't uploaded it to apnet, because I am sure it will be rejected ;).

Jelle

Attached photos:

Michael Brazier 

Joined in April 2013
Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:56 CET

The problem is the shading of the top of the sky - addition of a gradient filter effect in Photoshop always leads to banding in my experience. I'd be interested to see the original RAW shot...

Michael

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1502 (15 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.