Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Photo feedback » Picture rejected...

Picture rejected...

Jocelyn Dell 

Joined in November 2014
Posted 30 March 2015 - 18:38 CET

Well, I'm not a great photographer, I'm aware about it, my photos are not great, okay, but I think that there are limits.

Almost all my photos are rejected, and when I see some of the photos that are accepted, this can annoy me ... I'm not picky, and I'm not going to cry foul but my photos are always checked by the same screeners and they reject my pictures for "improper" arguments.

I even posted the same picture twice, checked by the same screeners who have made different arguments, and in my opinion unjustified. What I really think is that only the most photoshoped and retouched photos are accepted. This is not a negative review, but I find it's a shame. And that's not motivating to see all his photos rejected when other photographs (from other photographers) of questionable quality are accepted...

Take for example this picture. It was rejected (always by the same screeners) for this reasons: "Heat haze is visible. Main object is not sharp.". There are many photos accepted with visible heat. In addition the aircraft is sharp, this is something beyond me. It is as if the screeners reject the pictures for no good reason...

So this time I would like some other opinions screeners for this photo.

Thanks in advance :)

Attached photos:

Thom Zalm 

Joined in February 2011
Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:10 CET

Don't think the image is unsharp, neither is the heat disturbing. But the white on the nose is overexposed.

M. de Mooij 
Joined in March 2015
Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:06 CET

Doesn't look very sharp, also there is pretty much chromatic abberation and fringing in the picture which can be easily removed by using Photoshop. Also a little low contrast imo.

Murmeldeier 

Joined in August 2008
Posted 30 March 2015 - 22:26 CET

Good Evening.

Frankly speaking I do not see too much chromatic aberration, except perhaps on the upper right side of the picture.

Left hand side of the nose (when looking at the picture if you see what I mean) is indeed a little bit burned out.

You could easily add some sharpness to the picture, try gradually, until you see over sharpened signs and use a mask to remove the sharpness on some zones.

But, and take it for what it is ... my opinion, there is heat haze and unfortunately you will not be able to get rid of that. Getting a sharp picture with heat haze ruining the picture is an illusion.

It's indeed difficult to say "Ok, this one is for the rubbish bin" but sometimes you have to.

And the most important ... do not give up !

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 31 March 2015 - 19:37 CET

Jocelyn, don't think you are the only one struggeling...

Most of us have or had a difficult time when you get your foto's rejected.

Just keep on trying and look at the tutorials of Angelo Bufalino and Andre Nordheim on YouTube. Both are also always willing to help when you have some questions.

Cheers,

Gerard

Crossley 

Joined in January 2013
Posted 31 March 2015 - 20:47 CET

Hin Jocelyn Dell

I have looked over your image and although im not a screen may i point a few things out that could be stopping this from being uploaded..

I have highlighted some points on the image that could be factors. The large circle Blown out and can be sorted out not a big issue..The Reg of the aircraft and GFD title is a little sort (Not Sharp)

plus the sonar on the wing is catching my eye and i do think the grey makes that look soft. Remove the out of focus stickers from it ..

Hope you have some success on this image love it.

A Crossley

Attached photos:

Jelle 

Joined in May 2013
Posted 31 March 2015 - 23:38 CET

Hi Jocelyn,

I made this simple and quick edit of your pic in a few minutes.

I got rid off the above things except for the heathaze.

Jelle

PS if you want a better edit, you can mail the high-res version to:

Jelle0597@live.nl

Attached photos:

Jocelyn Dell 

Joined in November 2014
Posted 6 April 2015 - 18:27 CET

Hi guys, sorry for the response time !

Thank you all for your responses, thanks Thom Zalm and M.R. de Mooij ! Thank you very Murmeldeier for the comment, and yes never back down and never give up ! :)

Gerard van Oostrom, I agree with you, Angelo Bufalino has very good tutorials on YouTube, I see them sometimes (even my english isn't very good, I understand most things not too technical, and the rest is simply, just refer to the French software and do the same manipulation) :)

Hi Crossley and Jelle, thank you very much for your help, I would not miss to contact you Jelle, I will send you the best quality image with one with the changes I will made !

Cheers

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 6 April 2015 - 19:03 CET

OK Jocelyn, thumbs up! Gerard

Cazako Cedrig

Joined in January 2014
Posted 8 April 2015 - 21:41 CET

Good evening all, I receive a rejection, and the reason is : Over satured. I do not understand this motif.

Attached photos:

M. de Mooij 
Joined in March 2015
Posted 8 April 2015 - 23:18 CET

The grass, too much saturation used

alansondak
Joined in April 2015
Posted 9 April 2015 - 05:52 CET

This is a perfect example of how important your lens is to yield creative composition. most people who shoot aircraft set their camera to speed priority and take pictures at F8. This is where you have to be with consumer lenses or your image quality will be soft due to light being dispersed over many sensor pixels, this is called light diffusion. The trouble is the photographer looses control over depth of field. If the foreground or background does not enhance the subject then it will take away from the object. I always set the camera to aperture priority, but I use F2.8 lenses. This allows me to control the depth of field and turn busy and unflattering into soft blur and this pops the image and makes it look compelling. I also use ISO custom settings to put back the light the sun takes away. This eliminates hot spots in the image and allows curved surfaces to have proper contrast. This is a complex set of issues and this is why I love the challenges of outdoor photography. Aviation photography has a lot of special considerations and most of all is composition. I recommend learning good composition used in landscape photography and apply it to aviation image taking, this effort alone will take you to new places and will help you go home with more keepers. If the readers of this forum would like some examples I would be happy to start posting on this site. Personally I take photography very seriously and the images show it.

Attached photos:

pl6txx
Joined in February 2015
Posted 9 April 2015 - 16:58 CET

And what exactly is special about the attached photo? It's just a sunny side-on with a couple of plain mountains in the back + green/blueish tint and shitty mid-day light.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1608 (29 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.