Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » Clipped Highlights and Shadows

Clipped Highlights and Shadows

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 14 May 2016 - 14:28 CET

Good day everyone,

I shoot RAW, work first in Lightroom 5.6 and then in Photoshop CS6. After my workflow if the overall result pleases me I’ll save it for web. I usually check histogram before doing that and many times after saving the file it comes with clipped highlights and shadows, what may lead the picture to a rejection.

I’ve added the before and after graphics for the same image and my settings for “save for web”. Am I doing something wrong? Can anybody provide some tips for corrections?

Thank you in advance.

Ricardo.

Attached photos:

Mark de Bruin 

Joined in June 2013
Posted 15 May 2016 - 22:20 CET

Hi Ricardo,

I can not spot anything from in the workflow or screenshots you added in your post. Looks fine to me.

Just be carefull with noise in the shadows and or over exposure of highlights.

Regards,

Mark

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 16 May 2016 - 13:10 CET

Thank you for your time and tips Mark.

I am not sure if it got clear about the two graphics, the first one refers to the final image after applying my workflow, where the histogram seems OK. The second one is the same image after saving for web, where it touches both side bars and may suggest the highlights and shadow are being clipped.

Regards,

Ricardo.

Igor Kmet 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 16 May 2016 - 15:11 CET

Dear Ricardo,

a im using the same procedure as you besides LR and never had problems with lipping.

Yes seems taht red chanel is clipped on both sides, but it not need be true.

In my opinion more sensitive way to chek clipping in PS is , Image, Adjustement,Levels ALT + draging LET slider under Histogram ( Shadows) or ALT+ draging Right slider ( Highlights) and you immediately see in the picture what part and where is under or overexposed and you are able evaluate if it is accepatble.

Before converting RAW to TIFF i always use in RAW converter, Basic, Function AUTO, which hepls to set exposure and other pars of picture.

BR

Igor.

Ricardo Hebmüller 

Joined in August 2014
Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:39 CET

Thank you Igor for your consideration, I appreciate that and I am looking for new and specific tutorials about this theme in order to improve my skills.

Regards,

Ricardo.

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1551 (22 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.