Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » How to improve my aviation photography?

How to improve my aviation photography?

Simon Forster 

Joined in April 2016
Posted 7 November 2016 - 23:16 CET

Hey Niko,

I really like the overall look of youre photos. Some time ago I had the same problem as you and something that helped me was trying to get more "creative". What I mean is not to take just a total of a plane but maybe get a bit into the details, the backround and so on... I really had fun thinking about what it would look like in different angles and situations. That brought back the fun for me.

Hope that is maybe a little help

Simon

Andre Nordheim 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 8 November 2016 - 02:56 CET

Welcome to the site!

Don't get discouraged my friend. We all went through our fair share of struggles and rejections in the beginning. It takes time but with some work and evaluating every photo closely before uploading you will be OK. Keep in mind that you should be very self critical and upload only your best. With that I mean your top 10% or so. Keep your edits clean instead of trying to be creative. This will come at a later time.

Feel free to check out some of the aviation photography post processing tutorial I've uploaded to my YouTube channel. One of the videos can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/UtEBSKE2OKI

Hang in there. It will all work out.

Rutger Smulders 

Joined in February 2014
Posted 9 November 2016 - 00:05 CET

Don't be so sad, you have some real cool shots! I really love the Qatar A350!

like Andre said, we all have been through this phase, but believe me, when you look back at your first shots you will be amazed by the progress you made ;) I can only advice to just go for your sharpest shots, and try not to over-edit them, which was one of my biggest problems behind a lot of rejects. And if you wan't any help, a lot of screeners or FM are really willing to help people, so don't hesitate and just ask. most of them have had the same struggles, and have some real good solutions!

So just keep up the good work, and don't loose fun in planespotting because of frustration, just try to be creative, and try not to go for the standard spotting places, but try to find some other amazing spots (ask local people for example) where you can make some unique shots! I swear, this will make you feel super satisfied!

Good luck!

Matt Reynolds 

Joined in December 2015
Posted 11 November 2016 - 15:16 CET

Hi Niko,

Welcome to AP, your doing a lot better than most of us did when we first started. I can only reiterate what Andre and Rutger have told you, when it comes to the editing, with regards to filters and post processing...Less is most definitely MORE!

Sharpening is the key, as is image selection, but thats something thats a constant learning curve of all of us. I have recently had an image pulled by the Senior Editors for being too soft, now its a horrid feeling, but after looking at the image with a fresh pair of eyes and realising I had actually forgotten to sharpen it, it was the correct decision.

Andre and Angelo have been immense to me and I cannot thank them enough, they both deserve a medal for trying to help me, because I'm not the easiest to get on with. But try to take every both of criticism constructively and learn from it. Your photos show some talent and you certainly have an eye for it. Remember that being a FM isn't the be all and end all, neither is gaining EC's, what is the most important thing...learning a skill, becoming good at something you love and enjoy and mainly having a good time with your friends.

Keep up the good work.

Matt

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1671 (19 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.