Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Non-aviation » Favorite photographers

Favorite photographers

Joe Was 
Joined in June 2012
Posted 1 December 2012 - 12:41 CET

Favorite photographer of all time is Ansel Adams. His photos are what inspired me to get into photography but as a hobby & I cant say enough about his work. I had a photography instructor (Art Hand, http://www.arthurhand.com/#) who knew Ansel Adams. Art Hand opened my eyes & inspired me to want to pursue photography in some way.

Favorite photographer now is Angelo Bufalino. I cant say enough about his work either. He opened my eyes to think about how I take pictures of anything. http://www.airplane-pictures.net/member-profile.php?p=5664

Michael Freeman, Michael Frye & Boyd Norton are also favorites.

This post has been edited by Joe Was on 1st December 2012 - 12:41

Wallace Shackleton 

Joined in February 2007
Posted 2 December 2012 - 06:15 CET

I have always admired the work of Chaz Bower, his air to air photographs were unsurpassed in his day but to be really honest, and this surprises me, I do not look up to anyone as an aviation photographer.

Most of us are simply "record photographers" while others are really good at what they do and just to name two out of so many good photographers such as Gavin Conroy's aerial photos are fantastic, Angelo's cockpit are very emotive and give a good insight into his job but the bottom line is they have means that are beyond the reach of the common aviation photographer, so having reached a certain standard with my photography, who do I look up to for inspiration to improve my photography?

Steve Morris, I want to take pictures like him!

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photographer.php?p=2194

It is an interesting question, just who do you look up to as an aviation photographer?

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 6 December 2012 - 01:19 CET

Most Overall Respected Photographer - Andrew Hunt

Impressive Skies - Menno Mennes

Air to Air - Gavin Conroy

Dusk/Dawn Light - Ronald J Stella

Night Photography - Toshitaka Yamashiki

Sharpness/Quality - Danijel Jovanović and Darryl Morrell

Most Complete/Vastest Portfolio/Does great on everything Photographer - Szabó Gábor

Great "Momments" caught on Camera - Fyodor Borisov

Creative Artistry - Angelo Bufalino

Best Photographic Compositions - Angelo Bufalino and Danijel Jovanović

Cockpit - Angelo Bufalino and JPC van Heijst

Wingview - Fyodor Borisov

Military Aircraft - Ismael Jorda

Close Up Shots - Martijn de Rooze (nustyR)

Display Team - Sunshine Band (don't know his real name)

35mm Film Camera Photographer - Andrew Hunt

Hot News Photos - Fyodor Borisov

Best Photographer under 21 years old - Emanuel Linert

Composite Images - Greg Sims and Egon Johansen (SilverWingPix)

Paul Nichols 
Joined in February 2008
Posted 6 December 2012 - 03:30 CET

Jørgen Syversen is very high on my list, if not at the top. Not only is he a tremendously gifted photographer he's also one of the nicest, most down to earth and genuine people you could ever wish to meet. An absolute gem of a photographer and a gem of a person whose heart is 100% in what he does. I have a tremendous amount of admiration and respect for him as a photographer and as a person/friend.

Steve Morris... He's a one man Magnum photo agency for aviation. A legend, I can say no more!

I'm a big fan of Gavin Conroy's air to air work, and Menno Mennes' images very often catch my eye as being supremely well seen and very well captured.

For all out technical quality Darryl Morrell has to be up there, although the thieving git did steal one or two of my editing techniques... :P

Incidentally I have to pass comment on the opening line of this thread mentioning Ansel Adams. I'm not a religious person but if there's one single photographer worthy of being called God it was him! As a keen photographer of things other than planes Ansel Adams' work is easily my most significant influence, at least for landscapes. He had a tremendous honesty in how he portrayed the world around him and was a great conservationist; he was at one with nature and you can feel that in his work. He was also an absolute outright technical genius whose precision and attention to detail I don't think has ever been matched by anyone in quite the same way. It really made me smile seeing this name at the start of this thread!

Nice idea for a thread, it's about time we had a bit of positivity! :)

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:32 CET

I am honored to be mentioned in this list gentlemen. Humbly honored. I personally like Moose Peterson and Mark Jayne. Technically excellent in both shooting and post production.

Bart Mozer 

Joined in May 2012
Posted 9 January 2013 - 23:28 CET

As mentioned above, 'Jørgen Syversen is very high on my list, if not at the top. Not only is he a tremendously gifted photographer he's also one of the nicest, most down to earth and genuine people you could ever wish to meet. An absolute gem of a photographer and a gem of a person whose heart is 100% in what he does.'

Angelo Bufalino is a true master when it comes to compositions and light circumstances.

Menno Mennes is also high on my list, not only did he learn me alot, his eye for detail and the use of the surrounding atmosphere are great.

I think this thread is a nice way to thank people for all the contribution to aviation photgraphy.

Bart

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 20 January 2013 - 00:45 CET

Wow guys, i really should check these forums here more often. Seeing your name here mentioned amongst all other aviation cracks really is a big honor, and i would like to thank you all for the given credits.....

I have several favourites/photgraphers that inspire me, and they all have their own trademark. Just calling some names of fellow photgraphers that inspire me...by the way, kudos go out to Bart Mozer, that made huge steps in the past year and is a very pleasant person to be with in the first place.

Ismael Jorda

Steve Morris

Jorgen Syversen

Sam chui

Nustyr

Mark jayne

Lloyd Hogan

Hesja

etc etc.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Cheers!

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:20 CET

Angelo Bufalino

daniel jovanovic

JPC van Heijst (like his cockpitshots)

Ronald j Stella

:-)

Emanuel Linert 

Joined in March 2009
Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:25 CET

Very honored Renato, thanks!

My list of favourite photographers is quite long and many of them were already mentioned :-)

This post has been edited by Emanuel Linert on 16th March 2013 - 22:26

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:54 CET

Menno and Bart, just saw your posts.....very honored my friends. Looking forward to shooting with you at AMS one day Menno!

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:57 CET

Angelo, if I ever go to AMS and meet Menno, Lars, Jeff, Bart... I won't do any shooting. I will just watch... =P

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:21 CET

Hahaha, instead of making pictures, we´ll probably be drinking beer! You´re most welcome here of course.....just let us know if and when you guys are coming over, and we´ll settle appointments.

By the way, Saw Emanuel´s name showing up just now, and he can be on my list too :-)

Javier González 

Joined in August 2009
Posted 15 April 2013 - 18:39 CET

Hi all,

There're a lot of amazing aviation photographers already named here... but let me say a woman :

Jessica Ambats

http://www.jessicaambats.com/

;-)

Javier

sunshine band 

Advanced member
Joined in June 2009
Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:18 CET

Only just seen this thread - thanks for the vote Renato Serra Fonseca!

Best wishes,

Keith Campbell

Michael Brazier 

Joined in April 2013
Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:41 CET

Javier Guerrero

Ismael Jorda

Florian Trojer

Renato Serra Fonseca

Garry Ridsdale

...and every photographer on this site of course!

Renato Serra Fonseca 

Joined in September 2011
Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:45 CET

Thanks for putting my name among some of the "Gods of Aviation Photography", Michael. Appreciate it. =)

Michael Brazier 

Joined in April 2013
Posted 19 April 2013 - 19:06 CET

My pleasure Renato.

I have one more nomination - many years ago I saw a flash picture of a Flybe Q400 on finals at Edinburgh in the dark, showing light trails behind the aircraft. I couldn't work out how it had been taken at the time though I've worked it out since. It was a startling image and I came to greatly admire the work of the photographer, whose name I think was Martin Krupka. I don't know what happened to him...

Bart Mozer 

Joined in May 2012
Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:27 CET

Lets not forget the quiet but skilled dutchman Hans Scholtens, his eye for detail and compostion together with his post-processing skills make him a very talented photographer.

Hans Scholtens 

Joined in May 2012
Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:07 CET

Thanks a million Bart! Very kind of you.

But, I can't help but feel like you actually mistake me for somebody else, except for the "quiet" part that is.

JPC van Heijst 

Joined in October 2007
Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:10 CET

Only saw this thread just now and it gives me a big smile on my face to see my name appearing in some of the favourite photographers for some here! Thanks a lot gents, that really means a lot to me.

I could give some names of whose pictures I really like here, but that would do injustice to the other photographers whose pictures are just so good, creative, clear, inspirational or otherwise interesting out here.

On a general note; what I really like about this site is that you can clearly see how every individual photographer with a heart for aviation is able to show his or her own view on the subject and knows how to capture the moments of aircraft and aviation in his own specific way and with a very personal touch to it.

Keep up the good work all and happy landings & shutterclicks for everybody! :)

This post has been edited by JPC van Heijst on 22nd April 2013 - 03:11

Jan Jasinski 

Joined in November 2010
Posted 4 May 2013 - 04:07 CET

I've got a long list so i'll name the ones I can remember ;)

Artyom Anikeev

Jorgen Syversen

Kavin Kowsari

Mathieu Pouliot

Javier Guerrero

Elia Lechner

NustyR

Angelo Buffalino

Menno Mennes

Ron Stella

Fyodor Borisov

Steve Morris

JPC van Heijst

Ismael Jorda

And so on!

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 4 May 2013 - 18:50 CET

Thnx Jan.....feeling very honored to be amongst the guys you mentioned above, much appreciated! By the way, you´ve came a long way yourself too my friend! ;-)

Cheers!

Menno

Paweł Kosno 

Joined in April 2011
Posted 4 May 2013 - 20:54 CET

Mariusz Adamski, TomPac and Hesja :)

Menno Mennes 

Joined in January 2012
Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:12 CET

Thnx Jiwan, much appreciated!

Rene van der Wal 

Joined in September 2013
Posted 2 July 2015 - 17:16 CET

Lars Veling, the nightshots are amazing!!!

Gerard van Oostrom 
Joined in December 2012
Posted 2 July 2015 - 20:01 CET

Wasn't aware of this topic until I saw Rene's post.

Ian Marsh peerless sharpness!

Flyer1 because of his excellent "panning blurred propshots"

Andre Nordheim I like his HDR-art look of his work

Gavin Conroy

Angelo Bufalino

Ander Aguirre

Ron Kellenaers

Daniel Jvanovic

and now I stop because there are many more,

Cheers, Gerard

Isaac Adler 

Joined in February 2011
Posted 3 July 2015 - 06:34 CET

Anyone that doesn't destroy the photo with over-editing.

Victor Ambriz 

Joined in August 2013
Posted 3 July 2015 - 23:36 CET

I admire all pictures and photographers here, but my "people how can I learn how to make better photos" selection are (all of them in order of some things who can help me to make good photos and people who I admire if fact of his photographies):

Angelo Bufalino

Renato Serra Fonseca

Jose I. Soria

Kelyn Y.

Pascal MAILLOT

Dipankar-DBPhotography

Andre Nordheim

Jan Jasinski

JPC Van Heijst

Jelle

Lars Veling

Coenraad Balt

Stefan Blok

Fred Boureau

MICHEL Charron

maqui

and obviously my mexican friend Alí Cruz

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1626 (39 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.