Airplane Pictures home

Home » Forums » Aviation photography » What is best for planespotting - Nikon D7000 or D600?

What is best for planespotting - Nikon D7000 or D600?

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 4 April 2013 - 23:29 CET

Hello guys!!

I'm planning to buy a new camera to substitute my Nikon D5100 and I would like your opinion about.

My options are Nikon D7000 or Nikon D600. What is best for planespotting?

For all cameras I use an AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G and a Sigma 150-500mm 1:5-6:3 APO HSM.

If anyone has another suggestion, please, let me know!

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 5 April 2013 - 00:57 CET

Ricardo,

I believe Dai Ngo shoots the D600

This post has been edited by Angelo Bufalino on 5th April 2013 - 00:58

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 5 April 2013 - 01:30 CET

Ricardo,

I've never used the D7000 before, but still I think you should go for the D600. Being an FX body, the D600 has a bigger finder than the DX-body D7000. Also, the number of quality lenses (old & new) that's compatible with the D600 is much greater. What you pay for bodies is only a small initial investment. Your major investment later on will be in lenses. Hope this helps.

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 5 April 2013 - 01:45 CET

Dai Ngo, thanks for your tips!! I'm inclined for the D600. What lenses do you recommend?

As my lenses fits well on both cameras (AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G / Sigma 150-500mm 1:5-6:3), I will probably buy an 70-200 f2.8L or an fish-eye for nice cockpit shots.

Angelo Bufalino, what could you say about the D800 performance for planespotting?

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 5 April 2013 - 02:25 CET

Currently, I'm using the Nikkor 28-300 on the D600, but I'm also looking for a replacement lens that would give me more reach, so I'm contemplating a choice between the Sigma Bigma 50-500 or the new AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm F4.5-5.6G ED VR, coming out to the US market next week.

For static displays, I frequently use my backup body D5100, paired with the AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF (I love this lens!!).

I also like your choice of the 70-200 f2.8, that's a legendary lens.

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 5 April 2013 - 02:40 CET

Ricardo,

I had the D800 and traded for the D800E. The dynamic range is unmatched. A great thing about the camera is it's in-body crop ability. You simply select 1.2 or 1.5 crop and the camera will show you a zoomed (cropped) view through the viewfinder. You lose some MP obviously but starting with 36 megapixels and going to 18 megapixels is no big deal. Now you can get serious resolution and take your 150-500 lens to 225-750!

My D800E grabs amazing detail but with so many megapixels you will likely have to process all photos for noise. Even my daytime shots can get a bit of noise that is detectable, but it's easily managed in post. (Nik Define 2.0)

Lenses. What Dai says is right. Invest in glass over bodies. I have the 16-35/4 - 70-200/2.8 VR2 - 85/1.8G - and just ordered the new 80-400. I have waited and waited for an update to this lens. Everything I have read has been positive about this new lens. I can't wait to put this on the D800E.

If you opt for the D600 read a bit about some production issues they have had with the shutter slightly making contact within the body and causing tiny fragments to get on the mirror. Apparently after "X" number of shots, the problem fixes itself, and Nikon says it only affected early models. I would google it, and make sure you get a recently produced body. The performance of the D600 appears amazing for the money.

Dave Henderson 
Joined in March 2009
Posted 5 April 2013 - 16:20 CET

Really interesting thread. I have been contemplating moving over to the darkside (Canon to Nikon) and have been looking at the D600, D800 and the D7100 (newer version of the D7000). The oil and dust issues of the D600 are quite off putting and even the newer production camera's seem to have the issue.

The new Nikon 80-400mm lens looks great and everything I've seen so far indicates it's a lens sharp lens at F5.6 at the long end. I'm planning on waiting one or two months first for more reviews of the Nikon 80-400mm. I look forward to hearing what you think of it Angelo, especially coupled with your D800E.

I'm torn between the D800 and the D7100. Noise performance of the D800 looks good and the 1.2x and 1.5x crop factors are a bonus, allowing closer framing in camera with smaller file sizes.

On the otherhand, the D7100, whilst already a DX format camera, has an extra 1.3x crop mode, and comes without an anti aliasing filter like the D800E. This would be pretty good for close up shots which I enjoy taking however the noise and picture quality would not be as good as the D800.

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 5 April 2013 - 18:54 CET

FYI, my D600 came back from Nikon Tech Support yesterday with a new shutter mechanism, as suggested by Angelo about a couple of weeks ago. So far so good, no dust spots detected on my test shots.

If not for Angelo and other A.P. screeners commenting on my earlier rejects, I wouldn't be aware this was a problem with my camera. Thank you, guys. It pays to be informed.

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 5 April 2013 - 19:24 CET

Ricardo & Dave,

If you opt to choose the D7000, I highly recommend the 12-24 DX for its reliable & exceptional optical quality. This is one truly remarkable DX lens.

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 5 April 2013 - 20:02 CET

Hello guys!!

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips. Your comments are priceless!!

I heard about the problem with the D600 and it really makes me chose another camera. Just wondering about a camera issue and I can't sleep!

Angelo and Dave, talking about noise on D800... is it so noticeable? or the D7100 handles it a little bit better?

Dai Ngo, thanks for the recommendation. Seems to be a good lens for cockpit shots, right? That's what I'm looking for!

Dave Henderson 
Joined in March 2009
Posted 5 April 2013 - 21:57 CET

Ricardo,

Regarding the D800 and noise. The D800 handles the noise better than the D7100. Full frame FX camera's such as the D800 should have better noise performance than DX crop frame camera's such as the D7000 and D7100.

Angelo is right in that the D800 full sized images can look a bit noisey, however upon resizing the images down during editing, the noise shouldn't be too much of a problem, just a small amount of noise reduction may be required.

As far as I am aware, the D800, when used in the 1.5x crop mode, should produce 15 MP images which are similar in quality to the 16MP images that the D7000 produces. Effectively the D800 moonlights as a crop frame camera which s a good thing for when the light is good and you need closer reach.

Dai, thanks for pointing out the 12-24 DX!

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 6 April 2013 - 02:11 CET

Ricardo,

Dave is right with respect to noise. Looking at a full frame uncropped image there is usually some if you are pixel peeping. That's EASILY managed with NIK Define 2.0. I am such a believer in that program. For the most part, every photo I shoot gets run through NIK because it finds noise that even I might not see.

Now, if you are shooting with a tripod, say long exposures, the D800E will blow you away. Here are a couple of my non-aviation shots:

http://imagebuff.smugmug.com/Other/Sydney-Australia/26923206_NKcGCj#!i=2256662200&k=dR5GhHB&lb=1&s=A

http://imagebuff.smugmug.com/Travel/Honolulu-HI/26912206_NXJCnK#!i=2355531489&k=DgFMgkL&lb=1&s=A

My biggest issue is file size really. These files GOBBLE up drive space. I currently shoot to a 32GB Sandisk card and then export from card via cardreader to a 2TB remote drive. I edit my photos on that drive and then back everything up once a week to a 4TB drive at home. The portable is passcode locked and goes with me in my kit bag. I highly recommend starting out from scratch with an external drive and a backup to it.

Regarding the D600, Dai's shots are awesome. I think if they have figured out the shutter mechanism issues (and it would appear that Nikon is standing behind in terms of customer service as I have 3 friends all get royal treatment) it might make the ultimate camera for spotting from Nikon. Full frame, 24MP, and coupled with the new 80-400 it would be awesome.

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 6 April 2013 - 02:20 CET

Ricardo,

One more thing....legal disclaimer...I am not a rep for Nikon but......DURABILITY. I was walking 2 weeks ago in Hong Kong with my D800E coupled with the Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR2 and a Black Rapid shoulder strap. I went to cross a busy street and for some unknown reason lost my footing and began to stumble. I was essentially falling "forward" accelerating all the time trying to get my legs underneath me but failed. I fell and in that nanosecond that seems like a century remembered that my right hand had my gear in it. Down I went sliding on the pavement on both knees and my left hand, grinding away my jeans and 3 layers of skin. Although my left hand broke some of the fall, I couldn't keep the camera from at least making contact. I always spin the tripod ring down, as though I am going to mount it on the tripod and I positioned the camera/lens to strike that first, then the bottom of the camera body. It did and I winced expecting the worst. To my surprise, not ONE scratch on the camera body. Not one malfunction. Nothing. Perfect working order. When they say it's wrapped tight in magnesium alloy, they did if for stooges like me!!!

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 6 April 2013 - 02:23 CET

Wow! Angelo, those two night shots are simply incredible. The Sydney harbor shot left me almost speechless!!! Nice work.

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 6 April 2013 - 02:35 CET

Angelo,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm glad you pulled out OK.

Thinking back about last year, I had the D800 on order and was on Adorama's waiting list for about 2 weeks, and then the rep on the phone told me that the D600 just came out and it's in stock...so I decided to switch to the D600...:-)

BTW, I'll be at Incheon airport (yes, Korea!) next week, do you know any good spotting places over there?

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 6 April 2013 - 05:47 CET

Dai,

I have not shot at ICN before so I really can't help there. Beautiful airport though. Thanks for the compliments also.

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 7 April 2013 - 21:56 CET

Hello guys!!!

Angelo, sorry to hear about your "accident". But good to know that everything is fine now.

My eyes are turned to the D800 now, but I believe that Nikon can fix the shutter issues on D600 on the newest cameras. If this happens, I will get the D600.

That shots of Sydney are just amazing!!

Durability. That's very important when talking about planespotting. We are always exposed to sun, rain and at most part of time we don't have good environment close to the airports.

I've just installed the Nik Dfine version 2.107 but it seems not to work on Photoshop CS6. I've installed on my notebook the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 and Nik Define works fine there so, I have to open the image on CS6 to convert from RAW to JPEG, send it to Elements 8.0, run the Define and then, send it back to CS6 for some final adjusts.

Do you guys know a version of Nik Software thar works well on Photoshop CS6??

Taking advantage of the moment, what monitor do you use for photo edition?

Best regards,

Abritta.

This post has been edited by Ricardo Abritta on 7th April 2013 - 22:01

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 7 April 2013 - 22:15 CET

Hi Ricardo,

I also have CS6 and am thinking about getting the Nik suite special from Google. When I do RAW conversion, I use ViewNX2 to convert to lossless-TIFF before working on it. Converting to jpeg will compress your image & you may lose some details.

For photo edition, I'm still using my trusted 6-year old Samsung 30" PC LCD monitor. It gives me the best view.

Angelo Bufalino 

Joined in May 2011
Posted 8 April 2013 - 00:53 CET

Ricardo,

Usually when you download the Nik software you have the option of downloading for PS, Lightroom, or Aperture. Just go back in and make sure you downloaded for PS.

As far as editing goes, I always edit as Dai pointed out....when I select to edit in NIK I choosej:

File Format TIFF

Color Space Adobe

Bit Depth 16bits/component

Resolution 300

Compression none

I sharpen last after my Nik Define and Nik Color Efex Pro edits...and I sharpen in 8bits because Elements 10 doesn't allow 16.

I would not be editing as a jpeg because as Dai pointed out....it will compress the image.

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 7 May 2013 - 21:30 CET

Hi Brian!!

I'm not sure but I believe that all lenses I use on my DX body would work well on FX bodies. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have an AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G and a Sigma 150-500mm 1:5-6:3 APO HSM that I intend to use on a D600.

...and about image compression... How to save the final file in order to avoid JPEG compression??.... Most of sites require jpg files.

Regards

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:16 CET

Dai Ngo, could you please tell me a little about the autofocus performance on D600 for planespotting?

I read a lot on the web about D600 Af system but I prefer a feedback from a planespotter.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards.

Dai Ngo 

Joined in June 2012
Posted 22 May 2013 - 20:37 CET

Ricardo,

The AF performance of the D600 depends on the lens you use. With prime FX lenses, there's no problem getting a good focus very quickly. With medium quality lenses like the Nikkors 28-300 (the one I'm currently using in airshows), it tends to 'hunt' a little bit before getting a good focus when I'm panning the camera. For the next airshow, I'll get to use my newly acquired Nikkors 80-400. Hopefully, I'll get better performance & reach out of it.

Attached is a shot I took at the last airshow w/ the 28-300 at 300mm, 1/320s, f/8, ISO100.

Attached photos:

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 25 May 2013 - 15:23 CET

Hello Dai Ngo!!

Thank you for your attention! I'm planning to go to USA (Miami or Seattle) to finally buy the D600. Hope I have a good time and good photos with D600.

Unfortunately, in Brazil, because of the Latitude, we don't have good light during the most part of the day. The good light come mostly in a few hours in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon after a rain during the summer. I prefer northern light. Amsterdam has a great light!!

Do you recommend me a good place to buy the camera?

Regards.

Ricardo Abritta 

Joined in March 2013
Posted 25 May 2013 - 15:34 CET

Guys, the cross-type focus points are really important? Does they make a great difference when focusing airplanes?

Jump to the top

Terms and Conditions | About | FAQ | Photo Use | Privacy Policy | Online 1588 (25 members)
© 2006-2024 Airplane-Pictures.net | E-mail us: Team@Airplane-Pictures.net
All photos are copyright © to their respective photographers and may not be used without permission.